I am lovin' my 15-88!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by tscweaves
I am hemming placemats that I finished weaving. I put a straight stitch walking foot on to keep all the stripes lined up and it is sewing well.
Wow!! And I mean the beauty of your weaving! I love that you have something hand made from the start!

I have a 15-13 (I think that's the number, came with the treadle base and knob stitch regulator) that I am debating whether to keep or Goodwill. I mostly want the treadle base for my red eye and possibly my Morse fotomatic. The decals are worn and totally silvered, and the machine was stored in an unregulated storage unit for many decades. But the back story makes me hesitate, and your description of your 15-88 makes me want to try one. This machine was given me by an older gentleman whose Jewish grandmother received the treadle for her wedding in 1913, shortly after arriving through Ellis island. He was taught to use it as a youngster by his grandmother and made puppets with it!
What would you do? Keep the pieces together, or spend my limited time on the two 66s that are waiting in the wings? (I suspect I'm asking the wrong crowd for that choice. ;-)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RotaryQueen
Wow!! And I mean the beauty of your weaving! I love that you have something hand made from the start!

What would you do? Keep the pieces together, or spend my limited time on the two 66s that are waiting in the wings? (I suspect I'm asking the wrong crowd for that choice. ;-)
Thank you for your kind words on my weaving. That is my first and true fiber love and I have been sewing all my handwovens on a Singer 401a for years. I have just recently slipped down the vintage and people powered rabbit hole:-)

I know what you mean about being unsure if you should split a machine and cabinet. I have a 1891 Singer VS2 fiddlebed with a complete puzzle box of attachments in a really slick looking coffin top cabinet. I have it for sale now and I really debated on keeping the puzzle box because it is so cool but it has been with this machine for 126 years. I am well aware that the person who might buy it will just split everything up but I have a hard time breaking up all that history. I do not know if I am right in my thinking or just stupid.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 AM

There's something to it Theresa. I have a beige aluminium 201K in a cabinet, and I probably will sell it to the right person at some point. It's in very nice conditon cosmetically, but needs a bit of sorting out. My black 201 is missing a few accessories the beige 201 has, but I keep them separate and gradually I am completing the accessory box by searching them down on teh web in stread of looting the other. I am still missing a darning foot lol. These aren't nearly as old as your machine (1950 and 1955), and a complete, all orignal 100 year old machine is noteworthy :- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-13-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Mickey, It is good to hear that you are keeping all of your 201K components together. For some reason, even not knowing the history of my VS2, I am having a hard time splitting it up. I have read on various forums of people swapping heads and cabinets and I am not sure just how I feel about it. I guess I am just a sentimental, vintage machine person:-)