Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP >
  • I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

• I am sooo stupid I want to cry. PLEASE HELP

Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Did you turn it upside down and shake it?
    You are brave, Miriam, and I'll have to admit you could be right. I've had to do that as a last resort to several machines, not necessarily with this problem, and it did work.

I wonder if Tri-Flow would help it ease out? Can you tap it out from the bottom with a piece of wood between screwdriver or other tool and spool pin? I actually did this one time, many years ago, to a vintage machine and got the spool pin out, from the top, with a lot of effort and needle nose pliers. New spool pins are cheap. In my case, there was slight damage to the hole for oil but not too bad. Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to do this and won't be the last.

Your machine will probably be okay. Be gentle with it. Is that machine cast iron? If so, I think it could break. Try some of the suggestions given.

If it were me, I would not work on it when really frustrated. I usually get good ideas when I leave it alone and go do something else for a while. The worst that could happen is that you have to take it partially apart, but treadles are not complicated and you will both learn something and have a good opportunity to oil and lube.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-09-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Truly, neither one of you is "stupid" or "dumb" LOL! There's not a one of us alive today who hasn't done something "stupid" or "dumb", but it doesn't mean any of us are stupid or dumb -- it means we're all human! I won't bore you with the details of the stupid or dumb things I have done -- they're just "things"! Cheer up, you will conquer this problem.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Just be "gentle" and patient!

God Bless.

Jeanette
    Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
    Truly, neither one of you is "stupid" or "dumb" LOL! There's not a one of us alive today who hasn't done something "stupid" or "dumb", but it doesn't mean any of us are stupid or dumb -- it means we're all human! I won't bore you with the details of the stupid or dumb things I have done -- they're just "things"! Cheer up, you will conquer this problem.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Just be "gentle" and patient!

God Bless.

Jeanette
    Yup parts machines happen........
    Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
    You are brave, Miriam, and I'll have to admit you could be right. I've had to do that as a last resort to several machines, not necessarily with this problem, and it did work.

I wonder if Tri-Flow would help it ease out? Can you tap it out from the bottom with a piece of wood between screwdriver or other tool and spool pin? I actually did this one time, many years ago, to a vintage machine and got the spool pin out, from the top, with a lot of effort and needle nose pliers. New spool pins are cheap. In my case, there was slight damage to the hole for oil but not too bad. Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to do this and won't be the last.

Your machine will probably be okay. Be gentle with it. Is that machine cast iron? If so, I think it could break. Try some of the suggestions given.

If it were me, I would not work on it when really frustrated. I usually get good ideas when I leave it alone and go do something else for a while. The worst that could happen is that you have to take it partially apart, but treadles are not complicated and you will both learn something and have a good opportunity to oil and lube.
    You are so right absolutely don't work on a machine when frustrated.
    Needle nose pliers and T-F occurred to me, too. Take pictures and take your time. I was sort of jesting about turning it upside down and shaking. Sometimes there is a simple solution though.
    Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Yup parts machines happen........
    Oh Miriam, lol! That would be a grave disservice to Mizz Zilla! I have never named a machine before but she deserves it after I handicapped her!
    Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
    .... Can you tap it out from the bottom with a piece of wood between screwdriver or other tool and spool pin? I actually did this one time, many years ago, to a vintage machine and got the spool pin out, from the top, with a lot of effort and needle nose pliers. New spool pins are cheap. In my case, there was slight damage to the hole for oil but not too bad. Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to do this and won't be the last
    The spool pin never seated in the hole which is why I gave it progressively firmer taps, lol! So my issue is getting the oil bushing back up into the hole so it relieves the tightness of the shaft. This all happened because I was excited and in a hurry to see the lovely stitching I knew she'd make.
    I have tried many tools and many combinations of tools. It is an extremely narrow awkward place to get any leverage....imagine that, lol. My goal is to use a tool down at the required spot and then hammer that tool from above since I am concerned about breaking the cast iron and because you can't hammer or tap anything right at the bottom of the hole because of space. None has been ideal, but so far my most successful has been a woodworking tool with a wide, thick spade that I place against the bushing from underneath and then use the hammer to tap the handle in the opposite direction.
    I so appreciate everyone continuing to post on this thread with their comments, ideas, and encouragement. You have no idea how much this helps. I will keep you updated. I really want her to get back to her original starting point. I have to be out of town today but you can be sure I will be working on it as soon as I get home!

Last edited by Cogito; 04-10-2014 at 02:42 AM.
    Old 04-10-2014, 07:31 AM
    Banned

it occurs to me that a narrow wood chisel has the strength and "wedge" shape that MIGHT be able to get between the two points and with GENTLE tapping could drift the bushing back up.... maybe?
    Old 04-10-2014, 02:04 PM

sounds like a plan. Just don't use DH's favorite chisel that he uses to make handmade dovetails!!
    Old 04-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew
    sounds like a plan. Just don't use DH's favorite chisel that he uses to make handmade dovetails!!
    Lol, no fear....my husband is allergic to tools! Tis mine and I think I am successful! It is pretty smooth albeit a tad stiffer than before. But I have to get that blankety blank belt on again and it isn't cooperating. I must have had beginners luck the first time.
    Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Sounds like you have it fixed and no real harm done. If it doesn't loosen up maybe back the screw at the bottom off by 1/4 turn and see if that helps with the stiffness. If it makes no difference, it's easy enough to put back.
    Rodney