Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast >
  • I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

• I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM

wow, thats so gorgeous ! and it helps to have such a beautiful model. Thank you for posting a picture of it. I love the color too! I am so in awe of people who can make clothing, especially costume clothing.
    Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM

I have over 80 machines, most working. My favorites are Kenmores from the 1960s and '70s. I have 3 industrials (Juki, Adler, Union Special) and a growing collection of overlocking machines. Pfaffs are also a favorite, especially the 30, 138, and 145. And Adlers (87, 187, 98, 167). Oh, and Ankers, Meisters, Gritzners, Neumanns, and pretty much any German machine prior to the 1960s. And a working studio wouldn't be complete w/out a Singer 201.

One of these days I'll learn to sew -- work and casual clothing, primarily. And I'm looking into taking an upholstery class for which I'll purchase an Adler heavy-duty straight industrial, probably a walking foot or some other type of compound feed.
    Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 PM

I have collected over 30 machines, but use four the most. My favorite is a 201-2 for normal sewing, a 15-91 for heavier stuff and my Barracuda 2000 for canvas. My most recent work in progress is a treadle Red-Eye 66. Oh, yes, I love fiddling with the 29-58 when warranted. My most recent project for it was a smartphone belt case of leather. Any excuse to use the 29 I jump at.

As to quilting, I've not officially quilted but have made two blankets with jean patches with my GDaughters college logo fabric as the underside. Also, have done a jelly roll which needs quilting - maybe some day when the collecting of machines and refurbishing itch is scratched.
    Old 03-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Hello, I'm not exactly a collector (that's my story and I'm sticking to it), but I've accumulated four Singer 500s, one Singer 503, a Singer 66, and a pink Atlas passed down from my mother.

I sew clothing and things like wallets and mittens. Between clothing projects I make baby quilts. I also do sewing repairs for a friend of mine who owns a costume shop.

The 66 and the Atlas are in storage, I use the Rocketeers for all my sewing.

Tate
    Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 AM
    Power Poster

My hubby wrote up one of those tutorials about the finish on the sewing machines when Glenn was here. He reads AB some times. And we jointly own a big bunch of old machines. He ends up with a lot of the dirty work. A lot of the time when I am wavering about getting something he says go get it and if I waver about getting rid of a machine he helps me. He goes along and hauls machines around. So I guess he counts. He has done a little sewing but not a whole lot. He does let me use his sledgehammer....
    Old 03-10-2015, 04:44 AM

Glen,
    An aside here. I made two quilts this winter, and on the label I wrote which machine I used for them. One was on my Two Spool, and one my Columbus treadle.
    Finding this information on the label will be fun for my children.
    Old 03-10-2015, 06:31 AM

Beautiful gown Skip.. keep collecting. I too love your handcrank. it was sew much fun.
    Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM

Beautiful gown, Skip. When you said y'all make and participate in the reenactments, I did not picture so much precision. Let me know when you'all will be doing another show, and Bob and I will make every effort to come see y'all.
    Old 03-10-2015, 08:34 AM

I really can’t give details about my entire collection of sewing machines, because it could be considered as advertising. Let’s just say that I have several. In our small frame home, my wife and I have 54 machines, including 8 treadles, 5 electric cabinets, and 3 industrial power stands, with about 90% of them in working condition. I especially enjoy collecting or rigging up handcrank machines, and currently have 15 of them. I think that I’m drawn to handcrank machines because I don’t have any room left for treadle cabinets.

My quilting has been limited to handcranking small quilt blocks as a Vendor at shows, mainly to pass the time and create activity in the booth. I’ve used a variety of small handcrank machines for this, with my favorite one being my Singer 221 handcrank.

Most of my sewing is repairs and alterations using older people-powered machines. The ones that I use most often are Singer 66-3 handcrank, Singer 29K70 treadle, Singer 31-15 treadle, Singer 319W (zigzag) treadle, and an Adler 205-64 that I handcrank. I also repurpose old truck tarps and highway billboard vinyl into fitted outdoor covers, using a couple of Singer 111-series machines on industrial power stands. The tarp and billboard sewing is all done outdoors on a covered patio.

The bulk of my machine collection is Singer, because I like them and they’re the most prevalent brand in my area. I generally just collect what comes along, and rarely ever have a machine shipped to me. That’s not to say that I haven’t driven long distances to pick up a machine in person, but I have found plenty of machines locally in my nine years of collecting.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 03-10-2015, 09:49 AM

Post My machines

I have 20+ machines. I started collecting in 1968 with a 1917 singer treadle, refurbished and gifted to one of my granddaughters last year. Started sewing Jan. 2014 and have completed 1-warrior quilt, 1-quilt for the Murphy bed I built for another granddaughter, 4-lapquilts-1 to another of my granddaughters,1-to my oldest daughter,1-to Olivia(Rodney's daughter), and 1-to another granddaughter. A number of table runners given to relatives & friends also 1-to Carol(Rodney's wife). And also a couple of fabric soup bowl holders. Cutting and piecing done by me and a friend with a longarm does my quilting with me picking pattern/top & bottom threads. Last June I drove to Wenatchee, Wa.(5600mi.round trip) to pick up a 1896 Standard treadle in pristine condition, a gift to me from my 90 yr. young aunt. I have Singer, White, Domestics, Kenmores, Dressmakers, New Homes, Free & Standards in the stable. My favorites was my 1916 29-4 that I rescued. It was a beast and after removing layers of paint overspray, the original finish came through and all the decals were in beautiful condition. I reluctantly sold it to a friend in dire need of such a machine. I currently use an Ultrstitch 12 and 2 Dressmaker's. It took a little while to get use to the left needle while straight stitching and have no clue as to why a left needle only is an advantage over a centered needle. I have recently throttled back on sewing and with warmer weather am doing more woodworking.

Soman2
    The other Rodney