I found a real deal - I think!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I have a Singer 101-4 in the same cabinet (#40). I purchased a manual off of the Internet for my machine. Your cabinet is in much better shape than mine. I paid the same price as you but did have to have my OSMG rewire the machine and I will have to refinish the top of the cabinet. You made a great find and you will love her. Does your light work? My OSMG was unable to fix mine because the switch is bad and the housing for the switch is casted metal and he did not want to mess with it.
Caroline,
Yes, my light works. Have you ever tried to cover the feed dogs and do FMQ'ing with yours? I was actually looking for a 15-91, but couldn't pass this one up. Any tips you can give me about the 101 would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 AM

My, what a lovely! I wonder what stories she could tell.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Caroline,
Yes, my light works. Have you ever tried to cover the feed dogs and do FMQ'ing with yours? I was actually looking for a 15-91, but couldn't pass this one up. Any tips you can give me about the 101 would be appreciated.
Actually I have not tried FMQ with my 101 as it is sitting here waiting for me to refinish the top of the cabinet which is in very rough condition. I might make that the project of the day. Did you get a manual with your machine? On the 101 there is no way to lower the feed dogs. There is a feed dog cover (No. 86294) that covers the feed dogs and a special foot called a stripping foot and needle clamp combination (No. 86294 in the manual) for Embroidery or Darning. Of course my machine did not come with any attachments. I have been meaning to find that special foot as I think it would work for FMQ. I know that on a 15-91 you can drop the feed dogs. Also the 101 has a horizontal drop in bobbin. The 15-91 has a vertical bobbin and may be a better machine for FMQ.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 AM
Banned

if it makes you happy, then you did great!...I would have snatched it up for that too!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 AM

It looks very nice. Great deal for you!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I think it was a good score. You can't beat the price and it sews.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM

I also have the same machine and cabnet . they sew really nice ,just make sure you take the bottom off under the machine and make sure to fill that little oil pan with machine oil, it works as a leaching to distribute the oil to all the locations as needed . You got a really good deal , so enjoy her & she does do free motion very well . Dottiebug
Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
I also have the same machine and cabnet . they sew really nice ,just make sure you take the bottom off under the machine and make sure to fill that little oil pan with machine oil, it works as a leaching to distribute the oil to all the locations as needed . You got a really good deal , so enjoy her & she does do free motion very well . Dottiebug
Dottiebug - Thanks for the info. My DH spent about 2 hours yesterday cleaning, oiling and lubing her - she was pretty dirty inside. I know he took the two bottom parts off and lubed, I will ask him about the oil pan. Is it underneath?
Do you cover the feed dogs and use a darning foot to do your free motion?
I can't believe how quietly she sews!
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

Linda I got a 101 last month at an auction in the same case- came home and she sewed right away They are so quiet and sew a GREAT stitch . I so wanted to keep her but alas no room so he is now home with my niece who loves him to death and has already made a quilt top on him. My niece will be 16 this month so she is into"guys" at the moment therefor the machine had to be a "him"
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Linda I got a 101 last month at an auction in the same case- came home and she sewed right away They are so quiet and sew a GREAT stitch . I so wanted to keep her but alas no room so he is now home with my niece who loves him to death and has already made a quilt top on him. My niece will be 16 this month so she is into"guys" at the moment therefor the machine had to be a "him"
I think it is great that a 16 year old is into sewing! I totally understand the male name with a 16 yr. old!