I think I need one of these

Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Even a wasp hitting you at 60mph packs a punch. Your windshield takes a lot for you. So, it's like a really big basting stitch mostly? I really should go look at those pants. I sort of mangled the one hem when I tried to repair it myself, but no one knows but me.

I have a spool of thread here that looks almost identical to the orange thread for jeans, I think it's upholstery thread. It came with my old 15-91. I wouldn't like the blind hem for jeans either. Yuck! Well, I don't know if I was pulling it off, I had one pair, there was easily a 4" "n" in the back of them. I think I wore those ones to the tailor the day I took my dress pants to her. Maybe that's why she gave me pricing on the jeans too. From time to time, I find a pair of pants that fit me lengthwise too. I always think it was an "oops" at the factory.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
Oh my goodness. I don't think I could to a blind hem by hand.
If I can do it, you can too Tammi. The stitch doesn't really matter because it's mostly hidden. You can hide almost 100% of all of the stitching and with the right glasses you'll always grab a single thread. I've used my 319 and the Singer blind stitch attachment on the machine and always get a better result hemming by hand.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM

There are different types of stitches but I found this tutorial that seems rather good. Scroll down to #6, blind hem stitch. She does another one above it, #5 "hem stitch", where she picks up more threads. If you pick up only one or two threads, it will be invisible. If they're not really dressy pants, and you don't care if the stitches show a little, it will be a bit more secure if you pick up more threads. (Stitch #5 should stand up to a motorcycle.) The key is not to pull the thread tight. Very loose tension on the thread keeps it less visible and more elastic.
http://sewsitall.blogspot.com/2010/1...-stitches.html
Old 09-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
If I can do it, you can too Tammi. The stitch doesn't really matter because it's mostly hidden. You can hide almost 100% of all of the stitching and with the right glasses you'll always grab a single thread. I've used my 319 and the Singer blind stitch attachment on the machine and always get a better result hemming by hand.
See, I always figured I'd have better success with it on the machine, because it was more consistent, but in the end, I always found the stitches were a little too big to look quite right. And too tight. I will try my next set of pants by hand and see how it turns out. Of course, unless I ruin the ones I have, or... uh change shape, that won't be for some time.

Originally Posted by Sheluma
There are different types of stitches but I found this tutorial that seems rather good. Scroll down to #6, blind hem stitch. She does another one above it, #5 "hem stitch", where she picks up more threads. If you pick up only one or two threads, it will be invisible. If they're not really dressy pants, and you don't care if the stitches show a little, it will be a bit more secure if you pick up more threads. (Stitch #5 should stand up to a motorcycle.) The key is not to pull the thread tight. Very loose tension on the thread keeps it less visible and more elastic.
http://sewsitall.blogspot.com/2010/1...-stitches.html
What a great tutorial! Thanks for posting that. I think you've completely hit on what my problem was from the beginning. I used to pull the thread tight. After all, tight is more secure, right? My overcast seams were tight tunnels.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I found one - don't all rush out at once...
http://bham.craigslist.org/atq/4105879153.html
Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I'd pay that for a running one with table etc... not for that one though. What are those, carburetors behind there? Just scattered everywhere? I wonder about that motor,... the seller may be a tinkerer....

ETA: the 31 is a centennial model...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
"Just as long as your trade can be sold for a little more than my very low asking price to allow for my troubles."

LOL. What?
Old 10-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Thank you for the clip. I really enjoyed watching it and seeing a tatted guy at the helm gave me giggles. He knew what he was doing. Loved it.