Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help! >
  • I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help!

• I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help!

Old 01-31-2014, 03:44 PM

Default I'm a chicken with my featherweight - please help!

I actually posted this problem in September with my featherweight, but didn't "get" it, so I left it alone...but now I want it back to sew on!... My needle is stuck and I cannot turn my hand wheel forward or backward! It just makes a little "click" when I try. So, I can't remove the needle because it's stuck in the hole. Also, my feed dogs are in a down position... Is that a concern, or is it natural when you're sewing that they go up and down? I'm attaching a picture of the problem. I've looked at the way to remove the bobbin case that was suggested, but I'm afraid to try because the bobbin case is rotated differently from the way it was done on the featherweight 221 website.. Can I still remove it if it's in that position? Thanks in advance for your comments.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]459696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]459702[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  
    Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM
    Power Poster

If your feed dogs are in a down position, I would try to take the needle out. Maybe needle is broken/bent and tip is stuck. Also if you undo the screw on the needle plate, you may be able to see better why the needle is stuck. Have you checked the manual trouble shooting page?
    Old 01-31-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    If your feed dogs are in a down position, I would try to take the needle out. Maybe needle is broken/bent and tip is stuck. Also if you undo the screw on the needle plate, you may be able to see better why the needle is stuck. Have you checked the manual trouble shooting page?
    my thought too. unscrew needle, take out bobbin plate (unscrew the 2 screws) and you will see better what's happening. maybe the needle is caught in between the bobbin case and bobbin hook. here's the SERVICE MANUAL .
    Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM

Sorry about all those attached images...I don't know how to delete them and didn't know they were getting attached! Meanwhile, I opened up the bottom of the featherweight, and there is a long loose thread hanging...and, I loosened the faceplate, and cleaned out some lint, and now the needle goes up and down. I've loosened the gib screw, and my bobbin case looks different from the bobbin case on the http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php ... It almost looks like it's oriented 180 degrees differently. Anyhow, the website says it might be hard to remove the bobbin case if there's a thread jam, and I agree! But I've never removed a bobbin case before, should I insert a screwdriver where I can fit one in and try to pry it loose?[ATTACH=CONFIG]459717[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM

Actually, this is quite exciting now...I,ve taken the bobbin case out, and it looks like there was just that one long thread...bad bad thread! Now I, having a tough time getting that bobbin case back in! Guess it's therapeutic to share my trials here on this board, and get suggestions too!
    Old 01-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Hooray! It's fixed! It was an exciting adventure, and from here on out, I'll have more confidence in taking out the bobbin case...and my featherweight got a good oil and lube job to boot. Happy sewing everyone!
    Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM

don't pry it with a screwdriver. it just needs a tender touch, just your fingers should do. shake it left, right, up, down and see how it goes. never force it as you might break something.
    Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM

Fun reading an adventure that has a happy ending! Have fun sewing with your FW!
    Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 PM
    Power Poster

So glad your problem is solved!!! Have fun with your featherweight!
    Old 02-01-2014, 05:02 AM

That's the beauty of a featherweight, they are usually pretty easy to work on..