Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group. >
  • I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group.

• I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group.

Old 06-18-2023, 02:50 PM

Thanks Janey, I just read the article that was written in the link. Very intrestin and now I understand. What and why. I do have some 30 wt motor oil. I also have some small syringes somewhere. I'll give it a try this evenin and let it soak in till tomorrow mornin and give it a spin. We'll see if it makes any difference in the old gal. Thanks again
    Old 06-18-2023, 03:20 PM

If it's running slow, my experience is it's either the foot controller or the motor. The foot controller (I'm going to guess) has little carbon piles in it and they get charred, cracked and generally deteriorate. The motors are pretty straightforward. If it's not a lubrication issue (and I can't recall if those motors even have a place for oil), the brushes and commutator are what I find usually need attention.

Andy Tube on Youtube is the go-to guy for rehabbing these old machines.
    Here he is working on a motor like yours:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzq4tv8qn94&t=0s

And here he is REALLY working on a motor like yours:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEeBi8x9ZY

And here he is working on a carbon pile type foot controller:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OC79P3UWXY

Watching an Andy Tube video earns you a PHD is whatever subject he's covering. And takes about as long. But it's time well spent.
    Old 06-18-2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AlZilla
    I

Watching an Andy Tube video earns you a PHD is whatever subject he's covering. And takes about as long. But it's time well spent.
    I totally agree. I've worked on 401s and 503s. The 401 was totally seized with old grease. It's a great machine. At that time, Singer said it was the best machine they ever built. It has really close tolerances, so light oiling regularly makes them really hum.

bkay
    Old 06-19-2023, 05:51 AM

Thank You AlZilla and bkay both for the info. The main reason I bot this machine is the reliability I've read bout and not just by what Singer ever boasted bout, but also what I hurd people sayin. I really want to get it runnin correctly. Its one of my favorites here. I have dug a lotta fuzz like lint outta it specially the bobbin case and all that area. Its like someone was sewin felt for many years and all the collective lint just balled up inside. I really dug a lotta it out. I like to think it may have helped but I cant be for sure. I can tell ya it has been oiled and greased alot. Ya can tell by the way the color has darkened underneath. I'd really like to soak it in degreaser or carb cleaner for a few days then pressure wash it really good. (can ya guess, I'm a retired mechanic) I know I cant do that. It took a few days and alotta diggin but I think I got all that lint stuff outta there. As soon as I post this I'm gonna watch the videos and again thank you both for the info. Any info I can get no matter how much or how little, I am grateful and appreciative of ever bit of it. Dan
    Old 06-25-2023, 03:49 PM

Well I'm back at it now. First I took the foot controller apart and didnt find any problems. I adjust the contacts a little bit so both sides would touch at the same time and as close to the same pressure as I cud get it. Didnt even have any of that carbon dust inside it. But I reconnected the wires and blew it all out anyway. Tryed it again and the outcome was the same. Still really slow. So I too the motor out. That was a lot easyer than I thot it was gonna be. I cleaned it up really good and checked it over as much as my limited mind cud see. It looks like a completely sealed motor to me. I checked the brushes and cleaned the old lubricant from it. Oil and grease that had gotten put in every place you can think of. I got a lot more of that fuzz stuff outta it again. I thot for sure I had it this time. NO such luck for me. Its still just as slow as it was to start with. I sure am gettin a lotta old oil and grease remnants from up inside the entire machine. I'm sure what I put in there wasnt any help, but on the other hand I dont think I hurt it any. By the way I did find a new drip pan pad for it. I replaced the old one, threw that nasty thing out. I cudnt even get it clean with carb cleaner. Used a full can on it and still was nasty as it was to begin with. I dont know where to turn to next. I guess I gotta break down and try findin someone who can actually work on it for me. I'm afraid that if I start takin it apart I wont know how to put it back together or I'll loose somethin that is vital to its operation. Thats my kinda luck. I wanna thank EVERONE for all their suggestions and links to check out. I did watch everone of the youtube videos and checked all suggestions I was given. ALL were much appreciated. The older ones I dont mind gettin into. But, this one is different. Theres a lot more to it than I'm used to. I have a lotta other machines that need some attention. So I'll set this one aside for a little bit and work on some of the ones I know a little bout. Thanks again. Dan
    Old 06-25-2023, 04:21 PM

Did you clean the commutator, where the brushes ride?

I would short the wires together in the foot controller and see if the motor come immediately to full speed. But that's just me and my risk taking nature.

Foot controllers are my #1 suspect for slow motors.
    Old 06-26-2023, 05:56 AM

I forgot to mention that part I guess. Yes, I did clean the commutator. I dunno how I left that part out. It was gunked up and I just knew that was gonna fix it. It didnt. But, thank you for mentionin that. However I did NOT short the wires in the foot controller. I will do that later today. If it duz work I realize that means we have found my problem. Can the foot controller be taken further down than I already did, for some repair? Or do I just get a new one? I hate not bein able to repair the original old parts but sometimes ya just gotta use new. I realize that. The controller didnt come with the machine. I am usin one that I had on hand. Same thing with the power cord. I figured they are all the same. Maybe I'm wrong bout that. Wudnt be the 1st time I was. Thank You again for the ideas. I'll post what I find later. Since its been so hot here in the afternoons and evenins I do my outside work in the mornins and inside once it warms up too much to be out in it.
    Old 06-27-2023, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Texadan
    Can the foot controller be taken further down than I already did, for some repair? Or do I just get a new one? I hate not bein able to repair the original old parts but sometimes ya just gotta use new. I realize that. The controller didnt come with the machine. I am usin one that I had on hand.
    I don't know how far down you took the foot controller, nor if it's a carbon pile type. But if it's one you have laying around, maybe you have another machine you could plug it in to?

You may have a high resistance in the wiring somewhere. A multimeter will help you sort it out. In 20 or so motors I haven't had an open or short in armatures or windings. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I like OE stuff, too. But I've replaced a few controllers with electronic ones from Amazon for $20 or $30. I have a known good 2 wire electronic controller with alligator clips on it I can sometimes use to eliminate that variable. I've never seen a reference for what kind of resistance we should see across a foot controller.
    Old 06-27-2023, 09:50 AM

Thank You for the advice. I'll always take all I can get. I didnt getta chance to check it yesterday. I plan on tryin it this afternoon. It is the old style ceramic resistor. I do have a multimeter but like you said I really wudnt know what kinda resistance I'd be lookin for. It probly wudnt hurt for me to go ahead and get a new foot controller even if it just lays round. But, I'd have it when I need it. Yea, aint no tellin where this controller has been or been thru. It was included with anuther machine I purchased from a neighbor. She didnt know where it came from either. I am really hopin that all I needa do is buy a new foot controller. Theres really not any good reputable repair folks round here from what I hear. Most everone duz their best to fix their own machines as long as they are simple repairs. The 1 guy that everone talks bout is always busy, not very quick and really expensive. You'd think that here in San Antone as big as it is, someone wud be here doin that sorta repairs. Again Thank You. I'll post how things turn out.
    Old 06-27-2023, 03:58 PM

Well I did it. I checked the foot controller once again. I shorted it across just as you said. It really didnt make much difference at all. Not that I cud tell. I left it plugged into the machine and I tryed it with out pushin the button. It ran like usual, I pushed the button itself just to make sure, the speed was so close to the same I cudnt tell the difference. I also pushed the button and jumped across as to short it out. No difference at all. I didnt think that last step I tryed wud do anything, cause thats how the controller works. The machine just dont sound right. Not like I'm used to anyway. Specially with the older ones. It just seem as tho it just drags along. So......... What do I try now? I myself am atta loss for ideas.
    AlZilla, I do appreciate all your help with this thing and am still open to any ideas you or anyone else may have.