Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group. >
  • I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group.

• I'm New here and wanted to say Hello to the group.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:47 PM

Well, if shorting the wires on the foot controller didn't make it run full bore, then it's not the controller. Did the motor rotate freely when you had it out?

The motor runs so there''s evidently not a short or open (though there could still be a high resistance) and you've cleaned the commutator and checked that the brushes are intact.

My next move would be drop the motor out to disengage the drive gears and see how the machine spins over by hand.

Maybe disengaging the handwheel like you're going to wind a bobbin would tell you something. If the motor is still sluggish, then it's something in the motor or electrics. You've got resistance somewhere, either electrical or mechanical.

It;s an interesting problem, since it's not mine ...
    Old 06-28-2023, 03:23 PM

Thanks AlZilla,
    The motor turned find while I had it out. Its not hard to take it out. I mite try takin it out and just hot wirin it ands see how it runs with no load. It runs exactly the same with the handwheel engaged or not. I did try that right off the bat. I found a source today from a neighbor and friend that I trust. Shes actually a quilter that has all kinds of big machines and knows how to use'm. She told me to call this guy first to see if he will or has time to look at it. She said to tell him everthin that I have already dun so he wont be chasin my tail. Said for me to tell him that she sent me to him so, he either dont really do alot of this kinda work and maybe will do a favor for her. Dunno yet. Havent called. I'll letcha know how it turns out. I think I'll try the motor 1 more time, hot wire it with no load. That shud tell the tale 1 way or the other. Thanks again. Dan
    Old 07-01-2023, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Texadan
    It runs exactly the same with the handwheel engaged or not.
    I missed this earlier. In that case, it seriously limits where it could be seized up inside the machine. If you drop the motor out and the machine turns easy by hand, you're back to the motor or foot controller.

You're zeroing in on it, for sure.
    Old 07-02-2023, 05:53 AM

AlZilla, I guess it was late friday evenin I took the motor back out. Glad its only 1 screw and pull. I took it to the garage and hot wire tested. It seemed a bit slow to me, but it was makin a grindin noise so I figured thats the problem. It turns find by hand and ya cant hear anythin. But as soon as the power hits it. Well there ya go. Thats gotta be the problem.
    At least I hope it is. I found a good used one on eBay for 30 bucks. Shippin was anuther 12 bucks. So it better be my problem. If I gotta keep puttin money into it I'm gonna have to set it aside for awhile till the wife kinda forgets bout it. Before I mess with it again. I even thot bout the motor bein too tight meshin the gears too hard together. I flattened out the screw hole in the bracket so it wudnt push the motor up really tight against the upper gear. Didnt make any difference. I dun that earlyer. Thanks again for all your help. I'll letcha know what happens. The motor will be in sometime this week. I think it was, if not it'll be early next week. Dan
    Old 07-03-2023, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up Finally go it to workin the way it was intended

Originally Posted by AlZilla
    I missed this earlier. In that case, it seriously limits where it could be seized up inside the machine. If you drop the motor out and the machine turns easy by hand, you're back to the motor or foot controller.

You're zeroing in on it, for sure.
    Well its finally all dun. The motor I ordered came in today just before lunch via Post Office. I just cudnt wait,
    I hada get it replaced as quick as I cud. It dont take but a minute, if that. It fit exactly the same as the other
    one did. I tightened the holdin bracket just enuf to be snug without forcin it against the spider gear on the crosshaft.
    I plugged it in and tryed the original foot controller. (I got a new electronic one, just in case) That machine took off like it was brand new in the sewin store. I mean it was a thing of beauty. It was hummin just like a song. I was so happy to have finally found the problem and was able to fix it myself I did a little happy dance. The wife thot I went nuts. She laffed at me. Go figure. Oh well it was worth it.
    AlZilla and everone else I wanna thank y'all for the advice and the leads to chase. I do definately appreciate everones input. Thanks again to all..........
    Old 07-03-2023, 05:49 PM

Nice work! If the 403 is on par with my old 301, you're going to love it.

So, you're going to fix the motor, right?
    Old 07-04-2023, 05:45 AM

Right now its sittin ina bin ona shelf with the rest of my machine things. The only thing that I know that I can do on it wud be replace the brushes. But I think it has more problems than that. If I thot that wud fix it I cuda dun that instead of replacin the whole motor. Whatcha have in mind? And is it somethin that I can do or do I have to send it out to be redun? I have never taken any motor that far down cept for maybe changin the entire armature assembly. But, I am open to suggestions as always. I have a 301 and a 306W also. I havent gotten to them yet. I do know that both of them work well just needin a bita care and lube, I think. Thanks again. Dan