Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway... >
  • It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

• It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

Old 03-12-2016, 02:40 PM
    Banned

Miriam it's not the machines that are the problem. It's the huge oak desk, the rolled up rugs, the 8 ft couch stood on end, the old huge ice box, etc.. that are in front of the machines. I might see if a few of the guys at the Victorian Sweatshop meeting tomorrow want to help me get my New Home out.

Cari
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Miriam, you and Tammi absolutely rock! I used to watch my son working on machines. His utter disgust was quite evident when he'd find felting made from lint! I have to be careful about my machines -- he'd kick my tail if I failed to keep them clean! Jeanette
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Don't fool with plastic
    Those pins only go so far up but you will need you oil, wiggle, oil over a few days. Does the lever move at all?
    The lever does move from straight to darn but not to remove. The linkage underneath moves and I can see slight movement on the right hand pin from underneath. I can feel the left pin move slightly when I have my finger on it and move the lever. Right pin does not. I don't really need to remove plate nor do I care to raise it my main reason for wanting it to work is to clean out the lint. I'm sure the feed dogs have lint I can't get at.
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 PM
    Power Poster

In all honesty, a little lint isn't really harmful but at what point does it become a lot of lint and then cause problems. I bought a Singer401 the other day and it was clean like it had barely been used until I opened up the bobbin area. I did no oiling just lint cleaning. Once the lint was gone the machine turned freely. My guess is they used cheap thread or some linty project but didn't know how to clean it. Sad. oh and I did oil the 401...
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by oreo1912
    The lever does move from straight to darn but not to remove. The linkage underneath moves and I can see slight movement on the right hand pin from underneath. I can feel the left pin move slightly when I have my finger on it and move the lever. Right pin does not. I don't really need to remove plate nor do I care to raise it my main reason for wanting it to work is to clean out the lint. I'm sure the feed dogs have lint I can't get at.
    Do you use tri-flo? You can oil the nylon piece but don't take it out. Rock your lever as you oil. Keep turning the machine and oiling. Get the oil to work for you if you run the machine a little vibration may help to work the oil in. Unless something is wrong with the links it should loosen up. I had one one time someone took the lever apart and reassembled it wrong. I spent a long time fixing that puppy.
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:50 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
    Miriam, you and Tammi absolutely rock! I used to watch my son working on machines. His utter disgust was quite evident when he'd find felting made from lint! I have to be careful about my machines -- he'd kick my tail if I failed to keep them clean! Jeanette
    Thanks for the kind words. Tammi left to VSS forum
    Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 PM
    Power Poster

So it doesn't raise at all. I wonder if ther is gummy oil in there? Don't use anything but sewing machine oil or tri-flo since it has nylon
    Old 03-12-2016, 08:54 PM

I enjoyed the reminder, very nice. We bought a treadle one time, got it home and couldn't figure out why there was a bulge in the needle plate, until we took it off, there was so much compacted lint it had bent up that plate. We were in awe. We cleaned and oiled, etc and it worked great.
    Old 02-13-2017, 04:00 AM
    Power Poster

Reminder....
    Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 PM

Miriam, I'm glad to see you are still here. My Elna SU quit sewing today. It kept jamming so I cleaned out the jammed thread and took out the screwed in bobbin holder. Found a tiny piece of thread, though it was good to go. NOT! A new needle, rethreaded several times, The flat part of the black thing underneath facing me from 4:00 to 8:00, the screws returned to the only place they can go with that in the correct place. Still the top thread won't pick up the bottom thread, just continues around and jams. This machine will do that if the top thread isn't in the tensioner correctly, but it is. Any ideas? If not, I hope my favorite repairman is still taking a few machines. He may - he loves Elnas.