I've been busy...

Old 06-20-2023, 02:12 PM

Default I've been busy...

On my recent trip up north, I picked up 4 machines, one of which was the 306 over here:

Any guesses... - Quiltingboard Forums

While up visiting, only one full day, I serviced 4 machines for a couple of organizations my enabler, er I mean sister works with and 1 for a friend of hers.

I brought home a Kenmore 158.14001 and the “Cinderella”. The Kenmore is a dual pulley variety, and all the special patterns appear to work. I believe the Cinderella is mostly a toy machine, kind of interesting, very noisy, but it sews an acceptable lock stitch. I just finished the bases those machines are on.

Also there was a Singer 247 (not sure what series name), made in Brazil I think, with the original warranty paperwork (which I will be submitting to Singer forthwith). This machine is in a carry case which housed a Nelco (more below). Hands down, this is one of the heaviest machines I have lifted, even though the lid is plastic and the lower horizontal drive is a belt, heavier than the 201. I don’t know where the weight is, but it’s there (or I’m growing older and weaker with each machine I pick up). This was in a full size desk, which remained up north to support one of the machines serviced for my enabler, er I mean sister.

The 306 has ended up in a carry case, which came from a local thrift store and which had a Singer 237 in it. The fire mahogany table now houses the 201 that came out of the re-homed No 48 cabinet over here:

Singer 201 in a No 48 Cabinet - Quiltingboard Forums

The fire mahogany table needed very little work, a touch up with a furniture marker and then some wax. The 201 was too heavy for the carry case, and the 306, though still a decent weight, is noticeably lighter than the 201.
Attached Thumbnails 20230620_121725.jpg   20230620_140514.jpg   20230620_140122.jpg   20230620_121606.jpg  
Old 06-20-2023, 02:14 PM

Recent thrift store finds have included the following:

A Kenmore 158.17300; I should not have purchased this machine, even though it was priced at only $19 and a dual pulley system. My excitement clouded my observational abilities because it had the button holer bobbin plate with the little gear on it, the first one I’ve seen in person. I failed to notice that it was missing the regular bobbin plate, a spool pin, and the ZZ/straight stitch reversible insert for the needle plate; these parts set me back more than I care to mention. The foot pedal was cracked, but repaired with some epoxy. And it turns out this machine requires a disc/cam to produce the special patterns under the white option, the orange option patterns all work fine. My investment far outweighs the market value of this machine in my area, so it’s staying here.

A Singer Fashion Mate carry case (the machine was DOA) which now houses a Singer 237, which was in the brown vinyl covered carry case now housing the 306 above. The case with the DOA machine was $20, but the case by itself is worth twice that. The brown vinyl case with the 237 was $10, and also worth it just for the case alone.

And most recently I picked up from a local Goodwill, for $19, a Nelco Japanese ZZ machine, in a like new plastic carry case, which now houses the Singer 247 above. The tension unit in the picture is not original, I just couldn’t get the factory unit adjusted properly (I may try again later). It is a low shank left homing machine, and of the few attachments included is a left homing straight stitch foot, which I’ve not seen before in the half a dozen or so left homing machines I’ve had. I like this machine a lot.
Attached Thumbnails 20230620_121937.jpg   20230620_140711.jpg   20230620_141013.jpg   20230620_141026.jpg  
Old 06-20-2023, 02:16 PM

Lastly...I also received a $10 estate sale Brother 15 clone type machine, in its original blue/white vinyl covered case with the original blue motor and blue foot control. It sews well.

And finally, just because it was only $8, and too...well...groovy...with the orange and yellow front plate, a Singer Genie Model 354, unfortunately missing the plastic cover which snaps into the machine housing. This Genie makes me think of the TV show Laugh In, for those of you old enough to remember, and which I admit having watched more than once.

All of these machines are up and running, and most are ready to be rehomed and hopefully put to good use.
Attached Thumbnails 20230620_140321.jpg   20230620_122115.jpg  
Old 06-20-2023, 04:39 PM

Wow, you have been busy.

Congratulations on you recent acquisitions. You've got a great enabler

Those are very nice bases.

You are lucky you got the Cinderella to make a decent stitch. I haven't heard anything good about them or the other named machines, Dynamic & Fairlane

I haven't seen a left homing foot like that one, either. But it is really obvious with that foot. Seems like some of them look so similar to a center homing one, that you have to really study to see if it is left homing or not.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 06-20-2023, 07:13 PM

I had to badger my woodworking neighbor to cut wood for me, I ended up making 9 bases, 2 for a guy I met in the Goodwill store who saw me pick up the sewing machine and started talking with me. He has a 66 and 99 needing bases, so 2 are for him.
Old 06-21-2023, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr
Recent thrift store finds have included the following:

A Kenmore 158.17300; I should not have purchased this machine, even though it was priced at only $19 and a dual pulley system. My excitement clouded my observational abilities because it had the button holer bobbin plate with the little gear on it, the first one I’ve seen in person. I failed to notice that it was missing the regular bobbin plate, a spool pin, and the ZZ/straight stitch reversible insert for the needle plate; these parts set me back more than I care to mention. The foot pedal was cracked, but repaired with some epoxy. And it turns out this machine requires a disc/cam to produce the special patterns under the white option, the orange option patterns all work fine. My investment far outweighs the market value of this machine in my area, so it’s staying here.

A Singer Fashion Mate carry case (the machine was DOA) which now houses a Singer 237, which was in the brown vinyl covered carry case now housing the 306 above. The case with the DOA machine was $20, but the case by itself is worth twice that. The brown vinyl case with the 237 was $10, and also worth it just for the case alone.

And most recently I picked up from a local Goodwill, for $19, a Nelco Japanese ZZ machine, in a like new plastic carry case, which now houses the Singer 247 above. The tension unit in the picture is not original, I just couldn’t get the factory unit adjusted properly (I may try again later). It is a low shank left homing machine, and of the few attachments included is a left homing straight stitch foot, which I’ve not seen before in the half a dozen or so left homing machines I’ve had. I like this machine a lot.
I have a couple of the 237's. I think they're the pinnacle of a straightforward, simple workhorse machine. Guts similar to the venerable Class 15's with a very simple zig zag function added. Some versions have a knob to drop the feed dogs, some don't. I keep meaning to stick one in a treadle cabinet and see how it does.

There's one of the goodwill site closing in a couple of hours. I do not need it. I have 37 sewing machines at last count.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:13 AM

"I do not need it."

I was unaware that needing a machine was a factor to be considered when acquiring a machine. I'll have to give this some thought while I wait to find the next machine.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr
"I do not need it."

I was unaware that needing a machine was a factor to be considered when acquiring a machine. I'll have to give this some thought while I wait to find the next machine.
I'll ponder it, too. While I await the FedEx man to bring the Necchi I don't need ...
Old 07-28-2023, 12:20 PM

Thank you but I have looked on eBay any every where I can think of. I did not know there was a left homing machine. I love the way it sews but left homing will not work for quilting. I have tried the adapters but the only thing I can do is zig zag . It does have cams if I want to make some great designs. I will just have keep looking for a straight stitch foot. Thanks for your help.