Kenmore 158 trouble

Old 05-04-2014, 02:45 PM

What model do you have? The needle needs to thread from front to back and the flat part of the needle is to the back not the sides. Have you tried either adding or releasing some of the pressure on the presser foot for the different fabric weights? Hope you can figure this out as these are very good strong machines.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:17 PM

I have the 158-1703.
The needle was in with the flat part to the back, I just turned it when it dropped out so everyone could see the needle type, and that there was a flat side (to the back). The needle was threaded front to back. I literally combed the manual looking for something I was doing wrong or for an easy fix, and I can't seem to find out what the heck is wrong. I have an old brother, which for an old cheap plastic machine can hold it's own. I also have two other treadles (one is a two spool), and a Singer to fall back on, but this one is (was) my favorite.

I guess worst case scenario, I can see if one of the local sewing machine shops could look it over and see if they can fix it. I just know the costs will be outrageous.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Ouch - I just typed in a whole couple paragraphs and my computer ate it. I have a Pfaff I fought with for months and lost. First off. The needle in wrong would be the first thing to check and the easiest to fix. I can see from your fist picture that you had it right. So next would be to make sure you just about baptize that area with Tri-Flow oil. Any friction point. The bottom most point where the needle bar swings needs oil. There is a piston type piece that pulls the needle bar side to side and below there is a place where the needle bar rides against the machine. OIL it good. or as CD says 710 it. Oil the top where it pivots. I had to give the Pfaff a lot of time out. I turned it every which way and oiled it and then oiled it some more I think I heated it a bit. The dumb thing would not retract. At any rate oil it in places you think don't need oil. LOL I don't remember why the Pfaff is toast at this point but it's toast. I'm sure you have oiled it a good one. Push on the needle bar and see if it goes back and forth in the piston and then look where it is at the bottom and see if it moves freely. Try a little heat from a hair dryer and turn the hand wheel - no needle. Being stuck will make the needle do stupid things. If someone used 3-in1 oil and it dried like concrete you will need to get that out some how. Then, too check to see if the needle bar binds when you turn the hand wheel. It could be a bent needle bar. There are some adjustments that I don't think you want to mess with that could also be off but that is unlikely. It also could be a messed up spring. It could have lint or thread stuck just about any where thread and lint can find to hide. Usually the old Kenmore machines are pretty nice machines.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:09 PM

AH, the old capital letters = shouting BS. Well, 90% of those who screw up their machines do not have a manual.
Hense my comment.

Since you find me rude, I'll just step out and let you and the others figure it out.

Joe
Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Hi—short-time lurker here. I bought a 1703 new in the early 70s and have loved it ever since.

I don't see anything amiss in the photos and I have no idea why your machine is bogging down. I did have a problem once with the needle striking the plate when I was struggling with some heavy upholstery fabric (or was it the sail?) and pulled the needle out of line to where it struck the plate. Is there maybe something going on with the feed dogs? Did you remove the plate with the seam guide lines and check for lint? (Am assuming you changed the needle after it hit.)

Sharon
Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 AM

This may be out of left field but did you check the bobbin to see if it was the correct size and not bent somewhere? I have a 158-1703 and it will sew through just about anything. Also, if the bobbin thread isn't wound correctly it will get a bird nest at times.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
This may be out of left field but did you check the bobbin to see if it was the correct size and not bent somewhere? I have a 158-1703 and it will sew through just about anything. Also, if the bobbin thread isn't wound correctly it will get a bird nest at times.
This is dead on advice.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM

I have a 158-1703 that may work correctly but belt is shredded so I'm skimming parts off of it for my 1803.
Let me know if you need anything.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 AM

I really feel your pain!! -- I was lucky in that the 158-19142 I recently bought has worked well and came with manual and every attachment and foot made for it -- I have had some birdnesting trouble when the machine has eaten a piece of material or thread when starting to sew -- I have found that then I need to rethread the bobbin thingy after unattaching and pulling out the eaten stuff -- my other problem has been tension, but I finally got enough nerve to tighten the tension on the bobbin thingy and all is well -- my other trouble was finding a 1/4 inch foot (ended up using a narrow straight stitch foot that gives a 1/4 inch seam -- also have an even narrower foot too) but need a zigzag foot with right hand 1/4 inch measure edge -- the Kenmores from the 1970s were more for dress making and the 5/8 inch seam -- I also was bending my needles when I pulled out extra thread to start sewing -- I have had a few learning curves with this machine, but I'm stubborn and am learning to do things its way!! Good luck with solving your problems -- wish I could really help but have no mechanical skills!!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Pull the plate that is under needle and over the center of the feed dogs out and turn it around to the small hole since you are sewing straight and not ziz zaging this might help on thiner material. But dont forget to change it back if ziz zaging.