Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Kenmore monogramming compatability >
  • Kenmore monogramming compatability

• Kenmore monogramming compatability

Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 AM

Default Kenmore monogramming compatability

I have a couple of 158 zigzag machines, a 1503 and a 1701. From what I have researched the 1503 uses the rare square framed monogrammer which letter templates are rare and pricey. The 1701, I cant find which monogrammer I need and do they use the same templates? Would they be compatable with other models and perhaps different makes?
    Thanks.
    Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 AM

I've had a 158 machine and found most of the monogrammers that work with it are either flat bad or open arm. The cams were the same for both of them. These units are not rare and most often came with a full set of cams so those aren't rare either. The are long rectangle shaped cams.

However there is also the Greist version that was sold under several names, Sears being one of them. Most were sold under Singer, and those are the spendy ones. The cams look similar to the Kenmore ones, but are not interchangeable. Greist also sold this unit under it's own name, and I own a Greist, Sears and Singer, and they are all the same. These units were sold with a voucher for three cams, and though full sets could also be bought, they were uncommon and that is why trying to get a full set is expensive.

I got the full set by watching ebay for monogramers. it was a Greist set (not marked Singer on the box) and had a typed paper with instructions on how to use it with a Bernina machine, so the seller advertised them as Bernina monogrammer cams, and that didn't garner much interest.
    Old 03-09-2021, 10:28 AM

I've see 2 different monogram cams, some seem longer with full teeth end to end and another type looks shorter with the teeth not going to the ends. I'm weary of what to buy with out knowing and theres a lot of differences in the machines even both being 158 series so Im not sure of the monogrammer itself.
    Even my zigzag cams are different on these 158's. The 1503 takes E cams and the 1701 takes C cams.....so anoying.

Last edited by tomc585; 03-09-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Old 03-14-2021, 05:51 AM

is there a Model number or style I can refer to so I know its compatable?