Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Kenmore sewing machine 158.1786081 >
  • Kenmore sewing machine 158.1786081

• Kenmore sewing machine 158.1786081

Old 07-28-2023, 07:52 AM

Default Kenmore sewing machine 158.1786081

I need some help. I recently bought this machine on eBay. But I did not know at the time I bought it it was a super high shank machine. I love how this machine sews but I am looking for a presser foot for quilting for this machine. It is a super high s hang 1/4 inch foot but what is different is the need only moves to the left. So if I take a low shank foot and put an adapter on it the needle hits the foot so it doesn’t work. I would like to find one of the original super high shank feet. It sews like a dream but I need to be consistent when quilting. I am not real sure why they made the needle to be so far left. It will move right if you want to zigzag stitch. Can anyone give some info on this machine.
    thank you
    Caryn Mulder

Old 07-28-2023, 11:52 AM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard!

Assuming nothing is stuck and keeping the needle from moving back to center, it may in fact be a "left homing" machine. There's supposed to be a benefit to a left homing machine, but I can't remember what it is.

You can check etsy, ebay, etc for the super high shank foot you're looking for, but even then it would have to be a special foot to basically straight stitch while left homing.

Take a look at the last picture in post #2 over here

I've been busy... - Quiltingboard Forums

which is a straight stitch foot for a left homing machine. If you can find one of those and an adapter that could help.
    Old 07-28-2023, 12:29 PM

What about something like this with an adapter to low shank:

Adjustable Combination Zipper Foot & Straight Stitch Foot - Fits Low S – Central Michigan Sewing Supplies Inc. (vintagesingerparts.com)
    Old 07-28-2023, 01:00 PM

Here's another thread about that same machine. The needle doesn't *look* left homed....

Kenmore 158.1786081 and choirs of angels sing
    Old 07-28-2023, 01:03 PM

I looked at the same thread and couldn't really tell. I also searched for the machine and tried to zoom in on some other pictures, still wasn't 100% sure one way or the other.
    Old 07-31-2023, 09:57 AM

I wish you could remember what the left homing machine was good for. I will still sew with it and I will continue to look for a feet to fit . That is exactly why the the people designing machines put little compartments in them to hold the the feet and tools. I have a Pfaff machine that holds my bobbins and feet and seam ripper. Things you need when you are sewing.
    Old 07-31-2023, 10:56 AM

Here's some discussion on left homing machines, post #6 speaks of the advantage for making clothing, the apparent disadvantage is making the small seams for quilting.

Kenmore 1914 and other Left Leaning needle machines - Quiltingboard Forums