Knee bar for a 99?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Knee bar for a 99?

I was out antiquing today and ran into what I'm pretty sure is a 99 in a bentwood case. (Smaller than full size, but the same gold filigree decals on a 66, plus a 66 bobbin.) this was in really excellent shape-amazing decals, no rust, everything turns, etc. It's an early version with the old bobbin winder and the unnumbered tension, but I didn't think to write down the serial number.

It was $75, but she hinted around that she'd be willing to dicker. But my sticking point was that there was no knee bar, and I've seen complaints that they're hard to come by. So now I have two questions.

1. All things considered, is that a reasonable price, especially for a machine with no knee bar?

2. Just how hard are the knee bars to come by, really?

Last edited by MrsBoats; 06-28-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Because I hate the "keys" on my ipad!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM

I've heard the same thing as well. Im not sure though. I bought a machine last yr before I knew about the knee bars and didn't realize it was missing. I didn't pay that much so it'd would be easy to sell it and recoup my loss but I just haven't posted it anywhere since I'm not sure about the knee bar. Good luck. I will tell you that I paid less than that and the store didn't know anything was missing, it was a thrift shop. This area you can normally get good prices for machines. If I were to advertise mine without the knee bar it would be for the 40 that I paid for it since it's incomplete. But that's just me. Maybe there are some others in our area that give you a better idea.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Sounds like my 99... I paid $25 (I think) for mine, with the kneebar and attachments.

Kneebars can be had on ebay...I don't know if any of the retailers sell them.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the thoughts! Upon further review (and a quick troll through ebay), I'm going to pass; the total is likely to be more than I want to spend on a spur-of-the-moment find.