Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Leaving a working treadle outside in the Pacific Northwest USA >
  • Leaving a working treadle outside in the Pacific Northwest USA

• Leaving a working treadle outside in the Pacific Northwest USA

Old 04-25-2016, 08:34 AM

Default Leaving a working treadle outside in the Pacific Northwest USA

re: sewing outside. We are very fortunate here to not have bugs other than the occasional fly.
    I'd love to take my treadle out on the covered deck
    but that is a two man job and Rob is often out of town. (re: taking it in and out)

My concern is we do have rain here and I'm worried about the machine or stand or irons drawing moisture if left out on the deck.
    I'd feel terrible if I damaged it by carelessness, it was a gift from Dick Wrightman, the Treadleon founder.

any experience in this line, leaving a working treadle outside spring and summer?
    Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 AM
    Banned

Myself personally I wouldn't do it. I had to strip a machine for parts not too long ago(it was beyond repair) and I put the stripped head out on the covered front porch. I was amazed at how fast it started to rust even without any rain.

Cari
    Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 AM

It's the morning dew that gathers during the night, even in the driest climates it can't be prevented. It only takes a night or two for rust to develop on cast iron and some types of steel. Except for the chromed parts, nothing is stainless on an old sewing machines. Maybe you cold settle for a vintage portable for the porch either hand crank or electrical?
    Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM

It has always amazed me that people would leave them outside - or out in little sheds with little protection. Do you have a nice garage? Does your treadle have wheels? Maybe you could move it in and out of a garage. I certainly would not leave it outside even if it were covered. My grandmother kept one out in the "Shop" - it was a garage that was originally built to work as my great-uncle's radio/gun shop. They stored it out there since they had another one in the house and it was fine the last time I saw it 26 years ago. It is the house now, and the irons looked good when I saw it last summer - didn't open it up, sure wanted to but didn't have time.
    Old 04-25-2016, 11:30 AM
    Power Poster

How about giving the irons a good oiling before going outside and then buy a good quality barbecue cover to put it under when you are done for the day?
    Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
    Power Poster

Talking

I would not leave it outside. I am in socal and have also thought about putting mine out on my covered porch but decided against it. Instead I have it set up by a bank of windows that open up. This way I have the best of two worlds. It is not good for the iron but the wood will be ruined outside also.
    Old 04-25-2016, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't leave it outside either. I live in a damp climate and anything left outside rusts in record time. Best to leave it inside maybe near a window so you can enjoy the beautiful day without actually being outside?
    Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    re: sewing outside. We are very fortunate here to not have bugs other than the occasional fly.
    I'd love to take my treadle out on the covered deck
    but that is a two man job and Rob is often out of town. (re: taking it in and out)

My concern is we do have rain here and I'm worried about the machine or stand or irons drawing moisture if left out on the deck.
    I'd feel terrible if I damaged it by carelessness, it was a gift from Dick Wrightman, the Treadleon founder.

any experience in this line, leaving a working treadle outside spring and summer?
    I keep mine in the garage for the moment, but it's coming in the house. I had to rearrange furniture to make a space.
    Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM

You've pretty much mirrored what I figured. Thank you for your opinions, very much.

I'll continue on with my sweet little hand crank.
    Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM

I wouldn't do it. I lived in Oregon for years and also SE Alaska where there is plenty of rain and I know how the moisture can cause the wood to swell and parts to rust.