Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

• Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM

I know there are a lot of scumbags out there, and I've encountered a few, but never at their door. The closest I've come to meeting in a remote location was the garage of an apartment complex. On the other side, I've met so many wonderful people and heard stories of the history of the machine, and had plenty near shed a tear as Granny's machine heads to it's new home. I've also got a lot of "healing" and helped others in the process. I'm making the trip into the Cities about once a month to visit my Mother who is in very poor shape, with Parkinsons. I've discussed this with many a machine seller - Mom's or Grandmom's machine and they are now gone. I've talked for over a half hour to people who have faced or will face the same situation with elderly parents. I've gotten several machines where we grabbed it and put it in the truck and drove 5 miles down the road to a public area and then got out and packed the machine up for the remainder of the trip. We have picked up a few machines from retirement communities, and had an audience of interested older folks watch and discuss their old machines as we take one out of cabinet and get it ready for the trip. I'm almost disappointed that I've built the collection as I want, and I'm not in the market for much anymore.
    Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 AM
    Banned

I just sold another sewing machine on CL. I guess that makes me a SCUMBAG too.....hehe
    Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM

I've only bought one machine on ebay and had it shipped. Seller did a good job packing and had no issues other than a crack in the plastic case. I have bought and sold several on craigslist. Most of the people I've met have just been cleaning out extra stuff. CL is easily accessable and free - local, digital classified ad. Makes it easy for buyers and sellers to connect, but as with all avenues of commerce - buyer beware. I also usually take my husband with me so I am not a woman alone going to a strange place, and I would just back out of the seller sounded fishy. I just sold the woodstove out of my house last week on CL (In Oregon, you cannot sell a house with a woodstove that is not certified to EPA standards) so I am one of those scumbags too.
    Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Lets see ..... well, OK Shirley, now that you've just called me a scumbag, perhaps I shouldn't continue. But then again, why not?

My wife and I sell sewing machines on CL.
    Just for the evidence of it here is one of my current adds. (( Moderators: This is for demonstration only, I am not selling on the forum.))
    { http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/hsh/4008532509.html }

The machine is described.
    The price is stated.
    There are photos of the machine, it's accessories, the manual and a demonstration sheet of all the stitches it can do.
    My contact information is an email address through the CL system. I have also used cell phone numbers as well.

TO DATE, we have sold 8 machines on CL, we have also bartered sewing machines with one QB forum member, and bought from and sold to others and we've sold a through the classifieds on another forum.

And we have had ZERO complaints. Yes, there are scammers, crooks and bad apples, but to blankly condemn everyone who sells on CL as scum bags is just wrong.

Now, when I buy from CL I look for pictures. The format will tell you if there is a picture. No pictures, I don't even look. If the pictures are out of focus or certain parts of the machines are strategically covered with fabric, such as the needle and slide plates, I ask ... just what are they trying to hide?
    Then I look for prices, no price, I keep on going. If I wanted to bid on a machine I'd check shopgoodwill.com.
    Then I check to see if the add has been in there for a while. If so I conclude the add is a scam and pass it over.

I pay attention to details. There is an old saying: "Buyer Beware". Only the buyer can keep themselves from being cheated. Just because I have the hots for a Singer 206K does not mean I will allow myself to be taken by a seller that's either a scammer or things they are selling a solid gold antique.

Joe
    Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM

I found my 2ed white signer 221 0n E-bay, for a $200. buy it now price, so i clicked on the buy it now button, several days later, I sent the seller a E asking when I could expect my machine, she wrote back, that she wanted another $79. on top of shipping, as she made a mistake when posting the buy it now price. well no thanks I got it cause it was at a great price. so I looked more and found another one at a great price and bought it. all the other things I have bought on E-bay have been just fine, got some darling machine covers for all my 221's, have never tried out CL so can't add any thing for it.
    Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
    Banned

I think (hope) that Shirley was just be general and venting. I think we have all proved that since WE use CL it cannot be all bad. Hang in there Shirley, we'll have YOU selling on CL soon! hehe
    Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
    Banned

[QUOTE=J Miller;6247270]My wife and I sell sewing machines on CL.
    Just for the evidence of it here is one of my current adds. (( Moderators: This is for demonstration only, I am not selling on the forum.))/QUOTE]

Joe, I love the ad layout and completeness, but I would like to ask, is there a reason for all caps? (usually considered yelling/rude in internet circles)

Steve
    Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM

I've had both kinds of luck on both eBay and Craig's list. EBay is a crap shoot. I received my favorite 201 for a $29 eBay bid and $20 shipping. The only description was "it won't catch a stitch." On receipt the needle was in backwards. The lady had packed it solid with newspapers, put it in a plastic storage container and repacked it in a larger box. It was a very good experience. I've had some horrific experiences on eBay also. A 401 came in a purchased box and had no packing whatsoever. Needless to say it was damaged. Upon contacting seller he said he had UPS pack and ship. Ironically, FedEx delivered it and when I emailed that information to the seller, he gave a complete refund and I used the damaged machine for parts. Obviously, he was not to be trusted or was very confused. However, I know there are reputable dealers selling on eBay and they deserve to price accordingly. Otherwise it's a crap shoot-sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.

Craig's list, I deal only locally and only face to face to complete the transaction. If it's what I want at the right price I can load it up and take it home.
    Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM

Joe's right but include ANYPLACE you're buying used....bad pictures, no price, etc....pass it by whether it's ebay, shopgoodwill, etsy or wherever.

I've bought & sold on craigslist, too. Oh my, another scumbag! I actually prefer to buy on craigslist. You can see what you're buying & try it out. No shipping fees...& no worries about inadequate packaging. I bought my 403A, a Singer cabinet, & my 99k (in a cabinet...for $20!) on craigslist.

I've also had good luck with ebay machines. Just check feedback & ask exactly how it will be packaged. I've even requested double-boxing etc...& the sellers I've dealt with have been great!
    Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
    Power Poster

Count me in among the Scumbags that sell on CL!!! I buy there too! I love most of the people I've met. There have been a couple though. For the most part these are good folks. I taught Joe everything I knew about CL and he surpassed me as usual...