Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

• Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM

I think I have 21 machines now and all but two were purchased from CL ads. I have had good experiences on all of my purchases. My husband and I have not met a scumbag yet via a CL ad. We sold a lot of items when we sold our house in MN and bought a lot of items when we arrived in NV. I really appreciate CL and would not like to go back to newspaper ads to buy and sell items.
    Old 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM

I'm glad to hear some of the sellers talk about CL from their side. I've had a few times I've sent an email and never got a response, and see the add relisted a few days later.

When I serious, I will provide my name, cell and email address. I figure that should give them reasurance I'm for real and really interested.

There are many times when I'm traveling I'm emailing on adds that are several weeks old. Deleting adds for sold items seems to be a very difficult thing to do - based on the number of them I contact that respond that the item sold long ago - they never do delete the add, and it eventually falls off.
    Old 08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
    Power Poster

Some times I've seen people send a name and a phone number but it is still a fake. There are a lot of scammers. When I see them answer the same way for more than one ad, I know it is a scam. I look for emails that sound like they are addressing the ad I wrote - when their emails are too general, I don't answer. I have NO TEXTS on most of my ads but they like to text anyway. I've met a LOT of really cool people. Some times we hang out and yack...
    Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM

Miriam, when someone is "scamming" what are they after? Or are they just being a troll and wanting to harass someone.
    Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 PM

I search CL a lot.. I'm careful about what and who I contact, and always take someone with me, usually my DH goes along... I've had great luck on CL. I've never tried to sell anything there but may someday. Like everything else in this world you have to check everything carefully and keep safety foremost in your mind!

Ebay is also a place to be careful.. but I've gotten a lot of good buys there too. Perhaps I'm just lucky?
    Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM

I've never had any problems with either ebay or Craigslist. I do use ebay more. I always use paypal.
    Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM

I have bought and sold on Craigslist. If someone comes to the house I always mention that my husband's police department crime scene van is parked in front of the house when I give directions.
    Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Miriam, when someone is "scamming" what are they after? Or are they just being a troll and wanting to harass someone.
    Coming from another scumbag.... though I sell on Kijiji, Craigslist doesn't seem to have a following here, so maybe I don't count.

Usually they're trying to get valid email addresses - they get these by you responding to their "inquiry". Then watch the spam and phishing attempts roll in. Otherwise, you'll get people trying the same old scams: send it COD, send you more money than it's worth and ship it to Timbuk2 but the money isn't there, or want to pay by PayPal or Western Union, etc.

Kijiji and Craigslist both though are a risk to the seller as well. It's not a good idea to post a phone number at all. Use their email system. The phone number would get you more responses, yes, but at the same time, a phone number can be traced to an address. The address is where you live, and your valuables are, not just what you're selling. The other thing about Kijiji's system, and probably craigslist's is they track responses. This information can be provided to the Police if it's ever needed.

It also pays to be very careful what's in the photos you post. Consider that the flat screen 56" TV in your ad for a Sewing machine could be more interesting to the person who contacts you, or looks up your phone number. I sometimes wonder if the "no shows" are people checking the place out. (we're not in a bad area, but we're "out of town")

Then there are the humans with bad wiring who show up to test drive your car and end up murdering you. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013...e_ad_site.html

Presumably, he may have posted on any number of sites, and at some point felt comfortable enough to give them information on how to find him and the truck.

I must say though, a plea to buyers on Kijiji or Craigslist - PLEASE have the deceny to call if you're not coming. We've put aside a part of our day for you. If the area weirds you out, or you found another whatever you wanted somewhere else, or whatever, it's just common courtesy to call or email. Especially if you've asked us to meet you somewhere. My gas costs as much as yours.
    Old 08-23-2013, 05:34 PM
    Power Poster

Do not buy any vintage machines listed as heavy duty and sews through leather etc. they have generally been abused and not suitable for fine piecing if they run at all.
    Old 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Do not buy any vintage machines listed as heavy duty and sews through leather etc. they have generally been abused and not suitable for fine piecing if they run at all.
    I would agree with that one. Look for honest ads, reasonable prices for your area and the item and not terribly far away. Then buyer beware. I like it when people take time to test a machine I am selling - hey I'm not perfect maybe I missed something...