Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay >
  • Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

• Lessons learned - buying on Craig's list and EBay

Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM

I actually cut down on a ton of spam via cl by creating a graphic with my google voice number on it and requesting texts to that number only. At that point I turn off the email option on CL. Even if someone calls the number, it goes to my google voice which is a Denver area code even though I live in Kansas City. It works well and I can forward and call from my personal phone without that number getting out to the weirdo's. I usually just say in the ad to call the number in the graphic and it works. Keeps the spammers away. I also use my Google voice number to reply to all ads. It's free and keeps my personal number out of circulation.
    I have never had sold on ebay and only bought a handful of times so I don't have a lot to add to that one.
    Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 PM

I'll second the use of a Google Voice number.
    Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 AM
    Power Poster

I have been considering getting a prepaid phone for ads and letting them call and leave a message on that.
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=miriam;6251761]---snip--- - hey I'm not perfect ---snip--

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all of the pointers. I am thinking of selling my virtually new Janome 8200 on CL but did not know how. Never bought or sold on CL and never sold on ebay, I am such a virgin!!!

I have all of the original box and packing materials....that would be good enough to ship it in if I end up on ebay, right??

I just don't like this machine. I think I am in the CL camp of people who just want to get rid of something more than the ebay camp of wanting to make a buck.

I know you all do vintage but if I priced it at 1/2 of list do you think it would sell. I paid more but like I said I just don't like it.
    Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
    Thanks for all of the pointers. I am thinking of selling my virtually new Janome 8200 on CL but did not know how. Never bought or sold on CL and never sold on ebay, I am such a virgin!!!

I have all of the original box and packing materials....that would be good enough to ship it in if I end up on ebay, right??

I just don't like this machine. I think I am in the CL camp of people who just want to get rid of something more than the ebay camp of wanting to make a buck.

I know you all do vintage but if I priced it at 1/2 of list do you think it would sell. I paid more but like I said I just don't like it.
    I sold my Janome for nearly what I had in it on CL. I hated the one I had.
    Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome

In regards to shipping, I would secure any loose feet or attachments, I typically put them in a plastic ziploc bag if they are loose, then pack everything back in the original box as it was originally, and then put that box in another box that is a little bigger, and fill in the extra space with packing peanuts.
    Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack
    In regards to shipping, I would secure any loose feet or attachments, I typically put them in a plastic ziploc bag if they are loose, then pack everything back in the original box as it was originally, and then put that box in another box that is a little bigger, and fill in the extra space with packing peanuts.
    When Packing a machine I don't have the original box for, I also wrap the foot pedal, and maybe the loose attachments in bubble wrap. Lots of bubble wrap, as in enough to make the bundle fit tightly in the harp of the machine.

If the box is good and snug, it should be fine, when put inside another box. One "small" box is easy to damage. A skid of machine boxes are less likely to get dropped or otherwise bashed around. That's why manufacturers get away with just the boxes that the machines come in.

The biggest trick is to make sure nothing rattles. Nothing. If you turn it upside down and something rattles, you should redo it. It's usually the stuff inside the box that does the most damage to itself, not exterior things.

I try to avoid packing peanuts. They move out of the way. sheet styrofoam makes me more comfortable. Or even the "soft" foam. Bendy but "firm" stuff.
    Old 08-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    I try to avoid packing peanuts. They move out of the way. sheet styrofoam makes me more comfortable. Or even the "soft" foam. Bendy but "firm" stuff.
    I really stuff them in there, so there is not a lot of room for them to shift. Plus, whatever I am packing usually has a 3-4 inch layer of big bubble wrap, so some minor shifting won't be that much of an issue.
    Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 AM
    Banned

I am about to post a couple pics in my Singer 13 thread showing the repairs I just finished on the bonnet that was shipped to me WITH the 1887 Singer 13 head inside of it. Oh, but don't worry, it was in Styrofoam peanuts..... and then the bonnet was surrounded with more peanuts in the box... (This was an Ebay seller that I made a follow up purchase with)