Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier >
  • Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

• Looking for help for a Deployed Soldier

Old 06-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Steve, got your message. Will do. I don't know how to answer you on PM's. Anyhow it will take a week or so probably for it to get to you. Don't have pp.ha. Barny PS. this is like talking in code.LOL I will get help from Grandson and send you a message.

Last edited by barny; 06-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH

I got an email from Kevin that he was worried that it would be too expensive to ship to him, too expensive to ship back(so it would get left behind), and maybe too big. He did some searching inline and wondered if a Model 20 would be better.... I explained what a Model 20 is... and that we had folks offering to help with the costs. I am planning to include a note to tell him that "I" will pay to have it shipped back home to him when the time comes.

We will be shipping the machine out to him on Wednesday for those who are following this project.
    Steve,

I once shipped an inexpensive Singer to Iraq and had the soldier leave it behind for others who may need it. It was left with the Chaplin with instructions to let anyone use or borrow it. In the long run, not only did it repair uniforms, it made crafts and gifts that got sent to the states during the holidays. I have no idea where it is today, but I do know it was a well used and loved machine for a couple of years.

Diane
    Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 AM
    Banned

You are spot on! I JUST got a reply from Kevin (he had been in a Comm's blackout)

Where he is currently assigned they only get in and out by Helicopter so cargo in is ok, out is rough. They've already decided that it "will probably end up gifting it to the Afghan Police on extraction... we work closely with them, and their Commander, CDR Roshan, is a badass (5+ assassination attempts on his life)
    Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 AM

I have one of those, purchased YEARS ago from Kenssewingcenter for the huge fee of $25.00. I cannot part with mine tho, as my son uses it. Ken must have purchased a lot of them, and when it arrived, I could not believe it. Its all metal, and looks just like the Singer handcranks. I did purchase a Crank from Ebay for about $11.00 installed it myself with no problems. This machine is a real Honey. Very quiet too! I hope some one can find one for this young man.
    Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by janegb
    I hope some one can find one for this young man.
    Actually that photo is the one we ARE sending to Kevin. It is being packed and shipped today.

Cathy (who donated this "Broadway" singer 99 aluminum clone) was over last night and was saying how much she liked it and that it was only because it was going into an American in a war zone that she would let it go.
    Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 AM

Hi Steve: Have you heard wether or not Kevin received the machine you sent? Just curious...
    Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
    Banned

Keven just asked the same question. We are tracking it now. APO's apparently can be a pain.
    Old 06-28-2013, 08:25 AM
    Banned

Update: I came home Wednesday and Heather let me know that they found the shipment. I said "Where is it", she said "it was on our doorstep" It was delivered here. It was not "returned", just delivered. Sigh.

Yesterday after work Heather took it down to the main Post Office here and handed it to the shift supervisor with an explanation of the destination and the issues.

It is now on the way again.... "with expedite" stickers...
    Old 06-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Oh man!! How could they get the destination and the source mixed up?
    Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

I work with time sensitive deliveries 3 days a week - believe me there is so much incompetence... It is a wonder anything gets delivered