Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • looking for Kenmore 158.950 cams >
  • looking for Kenmore 158.950 cams

• looking for Kenmore 158.950 cams

Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM

Default looking for Kenmore 158.950 cams

I just saved a kenmore 158.950 model 95 sewing machine. I am looking for the stitch cams, if anyone has a resource to get them. You can email me here or at [email protected].

Thank you

Cher
    Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM

There are several different style cams for Kenmores. Can you post a picture of the type you need? The older Kenmores are pretty sturdy and reliable.
    Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 AM
    Power Poster

Kenmore machines have lots of different styles. You might check ebay but you do need to have some idea what they should look like.
    Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM

I saw some cams for model 90 on etsy - was searching under kenmore sewing for something..not sure if they use the same cams or not
    Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM

I know of at least 3 designs of cams for 158 series Kenmores. A picture of your machine and the cam drive area would be helpful.

Joe
    Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Your machine is going to take the "C" type cams. The good news is that they are probably the most common type. Ebay or shopgoodwill.com are probably your best bets for finding them. Here is an example of what they look like from one seller on ebay (not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenmore-Cams...item25935a62c1

I would recommend searching for "Kenmore Cam" on Ebay and scour for the best price+shipping charge. Some have outrageous shipping added on.

Here is a listing for a set on shopgoodwill:
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17541472.html

Great price right now, but that site is popular with addicts, so the prices often escalate at the last minute.

Those cams come in four colors--light green, dark green, orange and beige. The largest and most complete set you'll find is a set of 30 in the green boxes. However, the multiple box sets include feet and monogrammers which likely won't work with your machine as it is a low shank and those sets are usually for a super high shank and I don't *think* yours has the mechanism that works the monogrammers.

The bad news is that you will need a zigzag cam to make zigzag stitches and if it is not installed on your machine, it might be more difficult to find as it's not included in those sets. Here's a picture of mine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486762[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]486763[/ATTACH]

The Cam number is 1 and the part number on it is 26841.

You can find a (poorly scanned) free manual here as well as parts list:
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&shdMod=158950

One thing I did discover is that you cannot use the cams with the cam door open. The door is the release mechanism for the cams and the machine will stitch in reverse with it open.

Good luck with your new machine.

John
    Attached Thumbnails zigzag-cam-1.jpeg   zigzag-cam-2.jpeg  

Last edited by NapaJohn; 08-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
    Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 PM
    Power Poster

I bought mine at Good will for 1.91. I would look at the Thrift stores...
    Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM

I dont know how to post a picture here. Would someone tell me how and I will. Thanks
    Old 08-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Default thank you john. so helpful. I do have a zig zag came same as your pic. I will go to e

QUOTE=NapaJohn;6837046]Your machine is going to take the "C" type cams. The good news is that they are probably the most common type. Ebay or shopgoodwill.com are probably your best bets for finding them. Here is an example of what they look like from one seller on ebay (not mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenmore-Cams...item25935a62c1

I would recommend searching for "Kenmore Cam" on Ebay and scour for the best price+shipping charge. Some have outrageous shipping added on.

Here is a listing for a set on shopgoodwill:
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17541472.html

Great price right now, but that site is popular with addicts, so the prices often escalate at the last minute.

Those cams come in four colors--light green, dark green, orange and beige. The largest and most complete set you'll find is a set of 30 in the green boxes. However, the multiple box sets include feet and monogrammers which likely won't work with your machine as it is a low shank and those sets are usually for a super high shank and I don't *think* yours has the mechanism that works the monogrammers.

The bad news is that you will need a zigzag cam to make zigzag stitches and if it is not installed on your machine, it might be more difficult to find as it's not included in those sets. Here's a picture of mine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486762[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]486763[/ATTACH]

The Cam number is 1 and the part number on it is 26841.

You can find a (poorly scanned) free manual here as well as parts list:
    http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&shdMod=158950

One thing I did discover is that you cannot use the cams with the cam door open. The door is the release mechanism for the cams and the machine will stitch in reverse with it open.

Good luck with your new machine.

John[/QUOTE]
    Old 08-30-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by countryflowers1
    I dont know how to post a picture here. Would someone tell me how and I will. Thanks
    If you're in the quick reply box, it is the third icon from the right. If you hover over it, it will show "insert image." Click that button and then select it from a file on your computer (browse and then open).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489718[/ATTACH]

If you're in the "go advanced" reply box, it is the same icon but in the middle row:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489719[/ATTACH]

You can still hover and find "insert image."

You will want to check the size of your pictures and not upload any that are very large file sizes as they are hard for some people to view on slower connections. Somewhere around 600x400 is an okay size, I believe.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing your machine.

John
    Attached Thumbnails insert-picture.jpg   insert-picture-2.jpg