Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus >
  • Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus

• Looking for Sphinx, Red Eye and Lotus

Old 07-12-2018, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Elnan, if it's a reputable seller they pack very carefully. I've bought at least 3 machines on Ebay and never had a problem. It could save you that trip to the dentist!
    On Ebay the seller's feedback is a good indicator.
    My husband has bought me 3 machines on eBay. Even with the non sewing husband factor, we've only had minor problems and the seller made that right. I would rather buy locally, but if you can't find one eBay is a good option. Most sellers are reliable and there are guarantees. Be sure to check the seller feedback before you buy.
    Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM

I've bought three machines online. Goodwill just put an Admiral (15 clone) in a cardboard box. Yikes, but it survived nicely. A 301 from California was packed well and arrived perfect. A 301 from the East coast was just put in a cardboard box with some packing. The machine was okay, but the case was trashed. The seller apologized, she was ill and an employee packed the machine. She refunded the shipping fee and I accepted as I wanted the machine and accessories, not the case. The case has pink paisley duck tape trim now.
    Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM

I've probablay had 30 or so machines shipped to me, and only a few got messed up. If you are getting a portable in the case, it's best if they ship the machine and the case separately. If not, they have to be very careful to pack the machine so it won't beat up the case.

I have bought most through eBay,- and like others have said, read the feedback and see if this is a seller that routinely sells machines and knows how to pack them.
    Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 AM

what about estate sales? I’ve used Craigslist, eBay. Facebook freebies. My local thrift stores. Picked a couple goodies up out of the neighborhood trash. Check with a local antique dealer. Depending on what sells in your area I just picked up a beautiful featherweight for almost nothing. Another website is freecycle. People looking for homes for all kinds of stuff for free. We also have consignment shops here locally for furniture goods. It takes some time and patience but I’ve picked all mine up for less than $50 each. My husband was about to strangle me when I brought home number 37 lol. But honey it was free.....and I’ll stay out of your hair for a week or 2 cleaning her up!