Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Looking for White 77 info and pictures >
  • Looking for White 77 info and pictures

• Looking for White 77 info and pictures

Old 12-17-2013, 05:03 AM

if you lever is not pushing away from you, you've got it mounted wrong.

Sometimes the control and lever are on adjacent corners, sometimes they are both on the side, sometimes they are both on the front, and my White is mounted so the control is on the back and the knee bar is on the side.

Most common is the lever is mounted to the back side of the FRONT of the cabinet, with the control on the adjacent side.

Some have the control vertical, some have it horizontal. Some controls have the foot part the same lever you use for your knee, some have the knee lever screwed to the foot control so there is no separate lever.

I've got to get to work soon, so don't have time to go take pictures of the different setups my cabinets have.
    Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Cathy...so I'm hearing that there really wasn't a whole lot of standardization as far as cabinet knee levers go lol
    Thank you for all of the pictures that you've shared, I really appreciate it. I'll have to think about how I can fit the lever in the cabinet. I think that I will need to mount it on the outside of the front of the cabinet to ensure that it has clearance when the machine is folded away. Mostly it looks like the machine will be resting on/against the cords if I mount it on the inside of the front. That means that I'll have to mount it backwards and continue pressing it the wrong way, unless I want to put it on the left side, and my left leg and hip won't stand up to pressing it for long seams due to an old injury. As a bonus I think having it on the outside will make it easier to remove when I need to put another machine in there to work on. Things to ponder.

I hope your day at work goes better than mine, I walked in and the boss took one look at me and said GO HOME I don't want whatever you have. So I came home and finished putting the border on a top and now I'm going to nap.
    PS The thread cutting has slowed down considerably, I think going over it with the steel wool helped, plus I'm being more careful not to sew empty stitches. I also noticed when I was disassembling it that the bobbin case seemed a bit loose so I've been careful to really get it seated well. However the quilt I was working on has a lot of points so I have some thick spots to sew over, and the friction pulley started slipping at the points so I think it's time to adjust the motor spring and scuff up or replace the rubber. If it isn't one thing, it's three LOL

Last edited by enjay; 12-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM

This is how the knee lever on my Kenmore is attached. [ATTACH=CONFIG]452498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452499[/ATTACH] Two brackets are attached to the box - one to the side and one on the bottom. I never noticed before, but it looks like I can adjust the knee lever to the left or right. I just may try that.

I did have to replace the cord going to the wall, and have not yet "stapled" the wire along the sides.
    Attached Thumbnails kenmore-knee-lever-1.jpg   kenmore-knee-lever-2.jpg