Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Lots of goodies and a thread question >
  • Lots of goodies and a thread question

• Lots of goodies and a thread question

Old 01-09-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx
    Aaa just get a magic marker , write serger on your sewing machine, it'll be good to go. thread can't read all that great
    Fonz and Porter had a question on using serger thread for quilting. Someone was using serger thread when sewing quilts. They explained why serger thread is different and how it might affect your sewing. Then they said, "Don't worry, You'll be fine."

I use serger thread all the time. I have a thread stand to use so that the thread comes directly off the top of the cone when I sew on quilts.
    And I try to use whatever color I have most of in my serger. My husband wears pajamas with the new neck band serged on with red thread. Looks kind of cute. And that way I can tell which one is his when it comes through the wash. LOL
    Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Now, about that bronzy colored Dritz gadget, got any ideas what it is?

Joe[/QUOTE]

Template for making bound buttonholes like you would find on dress suits and coats, etc. I think I have one still on the card. Dritz has tutorials for just about all of their products.
    Old 01-09-2015, 10:23 AM

elnan,

Thanks, I'll hunt up the Dritz site and see what they say about it.

Joe
    Old 01-09-2015, 11:07 AM

elan,
    Thanks, I went to DRITZ, found the "NEW" Bound Buttonholer (they must have reintroduced it as mine is obviously older)
    The instructions on the web site were incomplete so I emailed them for a complete set. Hope they send them.

Joe
    Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller
    elan,
    Thanks, I went to DRITZ, found the "NEW" Bound Buttonholer (they must have reintroduced it as mine is obviously older)
    The instructions on the web site were incomplete so I emailed them for a complete set. Hope they send them.

Joe
    Joe, I looked for my card with the instructions, but couldn't find it. I did google and found an excellent tutorial, way more detailed than the dritz card. By highlighting and choosing "selection", it printed out to 10 pages, worth the ink & paper. http://www.coletterie.com/?s=bound+buttonholes
    Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM

The Dritz copper thing with the two wires is used to make bound buttonholes. You can use Google to search for Dritz Bound Buttonhole tool.
    Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM

Thats a cool looking knife Joe. I have a few. LOLOL.. not one like that.
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Congratulations on such an interesting assortment. And Pollyanna is beautiful!

I thought at first that the far left bobbins might be Wheeler and Wilson, but I don't think they're round enough (I mean the tops rounded down) or short enough. The knife looks great.

It's interesting to read about thread. I have such an assortment from probably four or five decades, that I don't know how to judge what's good by brand. I hold it up to the light to see if the edges look fuzzy (bad) and give it a good yank to see if it breaks (don't use). Then I make sure to match my bobbin thread. I hoard the very old heavy button thread to sew on coat buttons.

Have fun with all your new goodies!

Last edited by Champanier; 01-09-2015 at 03:41 PM.
    Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by elnan
    Joe, I looked for my card with the instructions, but couldn't find it. I did google and found an excellent tutorial, way more detailed than the dritz card. By highlighting and choosing "selection", it printed out to 10 pages, worth the ink & paper. http://www.coletterie.com/?s=bound+buttonholes
    I gave a demonstration for a 4-H or FFA project about 65 years ago. It seemed so simple to me, and my button holes didn't have the lips crossed over. I made a really large button hole for the demo, but the judge said I should have used contrasting thread so they could more easily see what I was doing. Oh, well. I made a lot of them back then, but haven't made one in many years. I think I could figure it out again, and don't need a tool.
    But it was cool seeing the tool and learning about it. Thanks.
    Old 01-09-2015, 04:16 PM

maviskw,

My wife said she started out doing them by hand when she was around 9 years old. She also stood and read the instructions on the coletterie blog and said she'd probably do it by hand rather than using the tool.

Me, well I think it's a guy thing, but I like tools and accessories. They just fascinate me no end.

Joe