Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM

I am so impressed, Christy. Sincerely!! That is one complicated machine. If I ever have major problems with mine I'm going to run straight to you for help!

(I still haven't gotten my pattern wheel, btw. I'm thinking I got hosed on that.)
    Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I am so impressed, Christy. Sincerely!! That is one complicated machine. If I ever have major problems with mine I'm going to run straight to you for help!

(I still haven't gotten my pattern wheel, btw. I'm thinking I got hosed on that.)
    It took an awful lot of tweaking but I think I finally have it. It was heads or tails as to whether I was making a royal mess of things or if it was previously a royal mess and I was working it out.

I wanted to believe the machine was in good working order except for something small. I think IGOR had a try at fixing this one and it appears several parts were randomly adjusted and eccentrics twisted.

I'm taking a breather before playing with tensions to get the final adjustments.

Sewnoma, I am pretty sure if you join the Yahoo group for Pfaffs they have the dial scans on file. You just print them, cut them out and put a brad through the center. You could even glue them to a cardboard if you wanted.
    Old 05-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
    um if you do that I sure hope you do a tutorial......... do it up right
    LOL! No way! I don't want anyone repeating that process!
    Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    Sewnoma, I am pretty sure if you join the Yahoo group for Pfaffs they have the dial scans on file. You just print them, cut them out and put a brad through the center. You could even glue them to a cardboard if you wanted.
    Hah, I should have given up earlier! It was in my mailbox when I got home from work today. Finally! I'll have to dig her out this weekend and see if I can get something other than wobbly zig-zags out of her.
    Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    Hah, I should have given up earlier! It was in my mailbox when I got home from work today. Finally! I'll have to dig her out this weekend and see if I can get something other than wobbly zig-zags out of her.
    Yay! I am glad it finally came! I hope you get some lovely patterns.

I continue the tinkering.
    Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM

Default Working on my two little darlings

We delayed working on these because the electrical was so bad we knew both had to be completely updated. So we finally started this morning. Hubby is working on the White and it is a pretty godzilla pine green color. Lots of chrome. I plugged her in when we first got her and she sounded like a rattle trap falling apart!! So we will be excited to see if refurbishing her helps.

Found out just now that most people center the motor pulley on the balance wheel and this is incorrect. I moved it into a correct position and she is much quieter and more balanced.

The other cutie pie is a MW pint size and next to her is a picture of her electrical cord when we bought her. She has a terrific wood case that needs completely redone but she herself is in fantastic shape. I think the person that was trying to fix her up had trouble with the needle height because the little stop somehow became flush with the interior wall so I tapped it out and now the needle stops in the correct height by hitting the stop, if that makes any sense.
    The White came in a great table with a almost hidden drawer. Sooo cool!
    Attached Thumbnails dewing-machines-003.jpg   dewing-machines-001.jpg   dewing-machines-002.jpg   001.jpg   003.jpg  

004.jpg  
    Old 06-05-2015, 02:45 PM

I'm finally getting more time in shellacking the Necchi desk. I think four coats will do. If can get it finished up today, I can let it cure over the next week and then wax it. I want this last coat to go on smooth but the afternoons have been hot and the shellac dries too fast even with a little linseed oil on the pad.

It's very hard to get a pic of the color and of course it is different since the natural wood is different all over the desk. It's a honey color right now. I imagine the wax will deepen it some.
    Attached Thumbnails dsc_0769-640-x-426-.jpg  
    Old 06-05-2015, 02:48 PM
    Banned

Looking good!

Cari
    Old 06-06-2015, 08:03 AM

how did that dark area turn out ?
    Old 06-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz
    We delayed working on these because the electrical was so bad we knew both had to be completely updated. So we finally started this morning. Hubby is working on the White and it is a pretty godzilla pine green color. Lots of chrome. I plugged her in when we first got her and she sounded like a rattle trap falling apart!! So we will be excited to see if refurbishing her helps.

Found out just now that most people center the motor pulley on the balance wheel and this is incorrect. I moved it into a correct position and she is much quieter and more balanced.

The other cutie pie is a MW pint size and next to her is a picture of her electrical cord when we bought her. She has a terrific wood case that needs completely redone but she herself is in fantastic shape. I think the person that was trying to fix her up had trouble with the needle height because the little stop somehow became flush with the interior wall so I tapped it out and now the needle stops in the correct height by hitting the stop, if that makes any sense.
    The White came in a great table with a almost hidden drawer. Sooo cool!
    The wiring on your Wards machine is in about the same shape as mine when I started on it. I still have to open up the controller and rewire it to finish the job.
    My machine might be a little older. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Wards branding timelines can clarify.
    Mine is basically the same National made 3/4 size machine but says "Wards Brunswick" instead of having the M/W logo on it.
    I know I just saw another thread where someone else has a 3/4 size Wards machine too.
    Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter