Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-22-2015, 10:12 AM

Did you know that Singer never made the belt guard with the "godzilla" finish? I was sure the first one I got had the wrong belt guard, so did some searching and found out that is the way they were made.

I've got it's big sister.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Looks like that 99 is also missing the lens in the light, which is the part *I* have been hunting for!

I actually just bought a whole light/motor/pedal assembly on eBay JUST to get the lens. I might need the motor anyway, so it's all good.
    Old 06-22-2015, 12:59 PM
    Banned

Didn't know about the lens.. off to hunt that down as well... Thanks?

I will look at the bobbin winder again. My 1st view of the bobbin winder looked like it did not line up with the belt, but thinking about it now, I think I may have made the incorrect assumption (old machine collector oops) that the pulley needed to line up with the belt, but it probably just needs a rubber wheel that lines up on the hand wheel to the right of the belt, after looking at Cathys...
    Old 06-22-2015, 02:20 PM

Here is the non-godzilla version of that model 99 (this one is a K though, but it shows the belt guard)

Old 06-22-2015, 03:17 PM
    Power Poster

The Godzilla brings back memories. My mother never sewed. Never was interested. She did handwork. She knitted and embroidered beautifully. One year my father got her a singer Godzilla in a blond cabinet. She cried. She never touched it. My brother and I fiddled with it. I thought it was very ugly. The third wife got rid of it. Way before I ever was interested in machines.
    Old 06-22-2015, 03:39 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    ... Never was interested. She did handwork. She knitted and embroidered beautifully. One year my father got her a singer Godzilla in a blond cabinet. She cried. She never touched it. ...
    LOL! My step dad is the same way. I've seen a few times were he bought my mom something that he was SURE she wanted/needed... Then to listen to my mom in the other room "WHY did he get me this POS" I have been recipient of a couple of those items.... hehe
    Old 06-22-2015, 03:46 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by SteveH
    LOL! My step dad is the same way. I've seen a few times were he bought my mom something that he was SURE she wanted/needed... Then to listen to my mom in the other room "WHY did he get me this POS" I have been recipient of a couple of those items.... hehe
    I always dreaded gift holidays when I was married. My husband always bought me things HE wanted. The last straw was the chrome valve covers for my Camaro that I had told him I didn't want. I made him put the stock covers back on and that was the last time he bought me anything. We won't talk about the fancy chrome air cleaner with the tall bolt that went through the hood when he closed it.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 06-22-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    Old 06-23-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
    Didn't know about the lens.. off to hunt that down as well... Thanks?
    If you find a source, please let me know! I can't find them anywhere other than in lamps on eBay. I don't think anybody is making new ones.
    Old 06-23-2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    I always dreaded gift holidays when I was married. My husband always bought me things HE wanted. The last straw was the chrome valve covers for my Camaro that I had told him I didn't want. I made him put the stock covers back on and that was the last time he bought me anything. We won't talk about the fancy chrome air cleaner with the tall bolt that went through the hood when he closed it.

Cari
    I'll never get that - my cousin was like that with his wife for the longest time. And he seemed genuinely puzzled when she wasn't excited about the gifts when they were pretty obviously things HE wanted. It's like there's a short-circuit in his head where he seems to really believe that she wants the same things he does. He's a pretty good husband & great father otherwise, but he definitely has a weird mental block about gifts. I really don't think it's deliberate either, he's not a selfish person generally speaking. Now she does an Amazon wishlist and he's forbidden to buy her anything that's not on that list or approved by her sister. Now she gets things that she actually likes.
    Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM

My wife and I tend to get things as we want or need them. We really don't do a lot of big gifts on holidays or birthdays.
    It's also really hard to surprise her. She's in charge of the money so I have to ask if I want to buy anything. It was an agreement early on that only one of us would be in charge of the finances. She's better with money than I am so she got the job. Good thing about it, I don't buy her any gifts she doesn't like.

Steve nice get on that little 99 even if it's not a regular part of your collection. You're right, the tire rides on the wheel, not the belt. Looks like the original owner of that file took pride in his tools.
    Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter