Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Pulled out my Necchi BU and found it bogging down under a load. In disgust, I put away all tailed machines and rolled out my favorite treadle, a National VS badged Alvah. Right off the bat, it stitched perfectly and sailed through all the layers of towel and cotton. I love this machine.
    Old 07-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG
    I can't imagine that kind of heat. Do you stay inside when it's that hot for the most part, unless you absolutely have to go out. Do you kind of get used to it? I just can't imagine.
    hi rebecca ..like christy said ..out in early a.m. --like daylight-- back inside when it starts topping 90. or before, depending on what i am doing, how heavy the work load. no rock or dirt hauling in really high temps. i am a hedonist at heart, don't suffer nicely. here it really doesn't cool off in evenings. we don't have soothing, cooling ocean breezes like the Mendocino area does, just continuous hot drifting across the valley. still in 90's or 80's by sundown. and yeah, you do get used to it, sorta. but as i have gotten older, i don't tolerate it as well.
    Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by roguequilter
    .....here it really doesn't cool off in evenings. we don't have soothing, cooling ocean breezes like the Mendocino area does, just continuous hot drifting across the valley. still in 90's or 80's by sundown. and yeah, you do get used to it, sorta. but as i have gotten older, i don't tolerate it as well.
    This is why I live in the East Bay within 1 mile of the Bay... 10+ degrees cooler than the rest of the area...
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM

During the winter I would be full of envy. However, I do not do heat well. Sinus issues and the heat makes it worse.

I'm afraid I have to ask for help again. I am sorry. I mainly just want to come in here and share and enjoy and not pepper people with questions. But I made a mistake. I did take pictures before taking apart my machine, but not detailed enough. I took wicks out and ordered new wicks. They have arrived and for the life of me, I can only remember where 1 wick goes. It's for my 15-91. Could someone please help me out. I have tried to research on line, watch videos and have not found one that shows for my model exactly where all the wicks go. Also when replacing do I wet them with sewing oil first and about how long a piece of wick. I take it it would expand.
    Once again I apologize for asking for help. But I really can't find the answer.
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:19 AM
    Banned

Rebecca,
    Rain has excellent tutorials for going completely through the potted motors. Here's the part you need right now:
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...r-part-10.html

And then this one:
    http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/12/ho...art-19-re.html

Cari
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:39 AM

Cari thank you for those clips and they do help with the motor wicks. But are there other wicks that go on the main body? I know the one up by the nose there are 2 knobs, the one closest to me had a wick that totally fell apart as I pulled it out. But I thought for sure I had pulled other wicks out of the main body. I hadn't actually pulled the ones out that were in the video clips that you posted. Though that would be a good idea.
    Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RebeccaG
    Cari thank you for those clips and they do help with the motor wicks. But are there other wicks that go on the main body? I know the one up by the nose there are 2 knobs, the one closest to me had a wick that totally fell apart as I pulled it out. But I thought for sure I had pulled other wicks out of the main body. I hadn't actually pulled the ones out that were in the video clips that you posted. Though that would be a good idea.
    I only know of the two grease wicks in the motor. I've seen some machines that have had a wick in the needlebar or presser foot parts that rise up on the top of the head. Is that the one? Then some machines has a tiny bit of red felt tucked into a hole in the bobbin area to keep oiled. I don't know if I am triggering memory of it or not?
    Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Still fiddling with the Kenmore 117.959. There seems to be a catch as the upper thread goes around the bobbin case. Not quite sure where to look for the problem. Everything seems to be smooth around the bobbin case and hook, no burrs. The tensions seem ok but I'm getting big loops in the upper thread.
    Rodney
    Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
    Banned

when I have had the "big loop" issue, it almost always turns out to be missing a guide in the threading...
    Old 07-08-2015, 11:49 AM

I was missing the one at the top of the needle. I just made a new one out of a piece of paper clip. I haven't tried it out yet to see if it helps.
    I found a copy of the manual at doubleveil.(net)? Not sure if it's a net or a com. Anyway, the thread goes thru the guide at the top, There's three hooks, two on top and a lower in the middle, but it's not clear as to order. Also the middle hook on mine snapped off.
    It's before the tensioner so I hope it's not critical.
    Thanks Steve!
    Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter