Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM
    Power Poster

I fiddled with 3 stuck mid century zz machines. The first was a Goodhousekeeper. That one was stuck but good. I must have spent 2 -3 hours digging out threads wrapped around shafts, oiled, cleaned out lint, it still needs a good cleaning to get the dried up goop off everywhere. It now has a spot that seems to bulk somewhere. I put it in time out. It came with a raised plate for free motion/darning - sweet. The second machine is an Alden. I got it because it had a cute case.... That ugly machine oiled up and turned nice pretty quickly. Minimal lint but it is covered inside and out with nicotine residue. I'm thinking the DGKs will get a lesson in cleaning up that one. The third was a Montgomery Ward machine. I got it because it was advertised for parts. It is a little 3/4 machine - does zig zag. The machine was stuck up but good. I didn't find one bit of lint or dried up oil - quite possibly never used. The outside of the machine was perfect. The bottom was perfect. The nose area was perfect. The top of the machine was a puzzle to me to get it open. Eventually I got it. Inside was my problem. There was a bit of rust. I got it cleaned up and the machine is amazing. Very cute little machine. I did not do any test sewing or adjusting - I just wanted to see if I could get them to turn - making them work will be for another day. Time out is good.
    Old 02-01-2014, 03:21 PM

I'd like to see a pic of the 3/4 size MW ZZ. I just unloaded my White ZZ and threw in a Kenmore 148 to get another Davis VF (head only this time). The decals are in good shape on this one, so it may go in the treadle base. The other one had been electrified, so it may become a portable.[ATTACH=CONFIG]459971[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-02-01-15.10.08.jpg  
    Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 AM
    Power Poster

It another dark dreary day here - rained, then snowed a couple inches then got cold. I'm staying in today. The Montgomery Ward is 3/4 size - unknown date but I suspect the 1970s. I cleaned it up a bit and test sewed - it was getting late so I didn't bother with the skipped stitches. I just checked it out and I just fixed it. The needle was in but not set clear to the top. It doesn't skip stitches now. I bet it was never used or used sparingly. The case is a little beat up but not too bad. It had a broken part in the stitch length - kind of hard to tell the exact length of the stitches - a tad annoying but no worse than some of the antique machines. I snapped a picture but I can't find the cable from camera to the computer. Maybe later.

Last edited by miriam; 02-02-2014 at 05:01 AM.
    Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    .....I can't find the cable from camera to the computer.
    Did you look for it next to the sledge hammer? And I was going to ask you if you took your sledge hammer with you to Florida? Nice to have you posting again.

Woke up to a couple of inches of snow here in Southwest Oklahoma, and it’s still snowing. I think it’s supposed to quit by mid-day. I may go down to the shop and shovel the sidewalk off this evening, but otherwise, I think I’ll stay in today.

I finished replacing missing/broken parts on “Comanche” the 1901 Singer 27K2 treadle yesterday, and have it back in the Sweatshop where it will live. I guess I’ll go back to puttering with “Big D”, the Adler 205-64 that is still bound-up after a lengthy sewing machine oil soak. I’ve been trying to avoid taking it apart to find the binds, because it’s so big to handle. Plus, I got side-tracked working on “Randy”, the Singer 31-15 basket case, but he’s sewing now, so I can’t put the Adler off any longer. It’s going to take more than an oil soak to get it going again.

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM
    Power Poster

Nope - I left the sledge hammer right next to a bunch of working touch 'n sews - threatening them might help.

I think I like basket cases - those old machines can be made to work but some times can take some time. I get side track trying to clean up the shop - I keep finding things to do.....
    Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM

I’m servicing up an old-timer for a lady that is just getting into quilting. I’ll finish test-sewing it off this afternoon. She brought it in because the motor wouldn’t hardly turn. It’s a Sears Kenmore 117.959, and I believe she said she’d gotten it at an auction a few years ago. All of its parts were there, although I had to bend some of them back into position, and everything works on it. It’s kind of a noisy old gal, even with a new pulley, but she sews pretty good.

She’s the first machine that I ever had my hands on that has a WHITEWALL TIRE on its bobbin winder. Really! It’s got tread too! And it works! I believe it’s a tire that normally is seen in plastic automobile kits. Nothing like improvising, huh? I’m sending it back out with the tire on it, ‘cause it works. The tire looks like it’s out of balance and maybe even out of alignment, but it runs smooth at high speeds.

The photo of the entire machine is the same model (one of my parts machines) so everyone can see what it looks like, and the photos of the Whitewall BW Tire is the one on the lady’s machine.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Thumbnails machine372_01.jpg   2014-02-11_14.52.37.jpg   2014-02-11_15.06.12.jpg  
    Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
    Power Poster

I just got in the door - I dragged to Morrow Ohio and picked up a very old Singer 15 in a treadle. It was in the family for 5 or 6 generations. It will need TLC. I was gone 8 hours but I made a couple other stops. crazy?
    Old 02-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    .....picked up a very old Singer 15 in a treadle.....I was gone 8 hours but I made a couple other stops. crazy?
    Just sounds like a good road trip to me!

CD in Oklahoma
    Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
    Just sounds like a good road trip to me!

CD in Oklahoma
    The sky was pure blue and a scenic drive.
    Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 PM

That tire needs a set of fuzzy dice to go with it. I just picked up a 620 touch & sew with thread jamming issues today. No pictures yet but I started another thread here for the thread jamming problem it has.
    Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter