Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Have you tried threats and name calling? It doesn't always work, but often makes me feel better....
    Oh yes, I have been know to have words with a machine and it does make us feel better.
    Skip
    Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM

Speaking of handwheels, how do you get on off a Touch & Sew? We prefer to crank by hand sometimes and the little plastic ones they come with aren't that convenient to grip. I'm thinking about adding a knob to one to make it easy to turn.
    Rodney
    Old 03-02-2014, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney
    Speaking of handwheels, how do you get on off a Touch & Sew? We prefer to crank by hand sometimes and the little plastic ones they come with aren't that convenient to grip. I'm thinking about adding a knob to one to make it easy to turn.
    Rodney
    you need the manual especially for getting it back together.
    Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Bummer
    Rodney
    Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 AM

I'm currently "fiddling" with a Singer 14u32 Serger. Refurbishing it and trying convert it to a 14U64:

coming along good so far.

Also messing with my Singer 319W.

Singer 328K and a Kenmore 158.15000 waiting in the wings for some attention next....
    Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney
    Bummer
    Rodney
    I do know where there is a sledge hammer
    Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 AM
    Power Poster

I've been fiddlinging with a Singer 503 - fine tuning it - BEAUTIFUL machine - I have the tension reasonably adjusted for zig zag but I have a new problem - it sews an inch or two and knots up. The thread pulls somewhere below and then the machine won't keep advancing - knots up down under... So I have had to become a sleuth. I dug out my glasses, a magnifying glass, lots of extra light and my trusty tools. It sews an inch and the thread balls up in the bobbin area. I'm not done yet but I think I am getting closer. Here is what I have done:
    I checked around the whole throat and bobbin area for burrs. The throat plate has a good sized star so I used an abrasive on it and cleaned that up a lot. I may change it out with one I know is good. Then I felt around on the hook to see if there were any burrs. I saw a small burr on the top of the race so I polished it out. Oh and in between I've sewed and had the exact results. So I suspect the ancient thread (the top says 35cents and is a nicked up foam spool) - maybe thread is hanging up on the spool as it sews. I put a cheap WM spool of thread on - it sewed farther then the thread broke. Time for a me break... Time for new thread... Next will be a different bobbin. Maybe a new needle - I doubt if it is the needle this time but what ever - cheap to change out. After that I'll be back wondering what it still hangs up on......... I test after each change - gives me a better idea what was wrong.
    Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
    I've been fiddlinging with a Singer 503 - fine tuning it - BEAUTIFUL machine - I have the tension reasonably adjusted for zig zag but I have a new problem - it sews an inch or two and knots up. The thread pulls somewhere below and then the machine won't keep advancing - knots up down under... So I have had to become a sleuth. I dug out my glasses, a magnifying glass, lots of extra light and my trusty tools. It sews an inch and the thread balls up in the bobbin area. I'm not done yet but I think I am getting closer. Here is what I have done:
    I checked around the whole throat and bobbin area for burrs. The throat plate has a good sized star so I used an abrasive on it and cleaned that up a lot. I may change it out with one I know is good. Then I felt around on the hook to see if there were any burrs. I saw a small burr on the top of the race so I polished it out. Oh and in between I've sewed and had the exact results. So I suspect the ancient thread (the top says 35cents and is a nicked up foam spool) - maybe thread is hanging up on the spool as it sews. I put a cheap WM spool of thread on - it sewed farther then the thread broke. Time for a me break... Time for new thread... Next will be a different bobbin. Maybe a new needle - I doubt if it is the needle this time but what ever - cheap to change out. After that I'll be back wondering what it still hangs up on......... I test after each change - gives me a better idea what was wrong.
    It WAS the thread - the spool is old and foam and nicked - thread was catching when it got to the bottom - probably why it jammed every inch. LOL Oh well there aren't any burrs. The tensions are working perfectly and making nice stitches with the Guterman thread.
    Old 03-02-2014, 09:24 AM

I always test a machine with new good thread, never old spools of thread. I find it saves me lots of time in the long run. Always using the same thread in the bobbbin as the top thread.
    Old 03-02-2014, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn
    I always test a machine with new good thread, never old spools of thread. I find it saves me lots of time in the long run. Always using the same thread in the bobbbin as the top thread.
    yeah - it was there...

FREE Quilting Newsletter