Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM

I honestly have never been impressed with hot glue. It's ok for fabric and other little crafty's but for a plastic knob I would use the epoxy or super glue...
    Old 04-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Worked on the power stand for “Ol Jim” the Singer 111G156 today. It used to belong to Jim the life-long upholstery guy in our small town. I don’t think he ever used it, but he owned it. He used a Pfaff machine for his work, and I think his grandson got that one (yeah).

Sometime during handling, either before or after Jim passed on, the power stand got pushed against something and the on-off power switch got mashed back inside of the power box. I finally had time to take a look at it to see how bad the damage was. Turns out that all of the damage was easily repairable, and all I had to do was to replace the power cord. The capacitor and its wiring was undamaged. The power cord on it may have been the original (the machine dates back to 1959), was a nice heavy cord, and I wanted to reuse it, but the rubber insulation on the white wire was beyond use, brittle and crumbling, no matter how far back into the conductor that I went looking for good wire. Singer’s white rubber insulation tends to break down like this, and I’ve seen it on several Singer 15-91 and 201 machines. The white rubber seems to crumble before the black rubber.

So now Ol Jim has power. I had to break out the 3in1 oil and the grease gun to help limber up the clutch and its linkage. One end has a grease fitting, and the other is a metal-to-metal friction connection. I’ll bet that this old Singer clutch motor hasn’t run for over 30 years, if not longer. The clutch was a lot “grabby” to begin with, and the return spring couldn’t even return the clutch to the brake position, but it got better as the afternoon wore on. I think it just needs some use now. I found an 11:2 step pulley that I plan on installing on it when I can come up with a suitable bracket. That ought to slow Ol Jim down enough to give me good slow control.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Thumbnails machine544c_23.jpg   machine544c_18.jpg   machine544c_20.jpg   machine544c_21.jpg   machine544c_24.jpg  

Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Definite improvement! looks like someone jammed a non-existent Emergency Off switch
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]472407[/ATTACH]I'm working on coming up with a pitman arm for a Davis NVF. I bought a small batch of pitman arms from the _bay, hoping that one at least could be modified, or would be right for it. These will work, I cleaned one up, and will repaint it after I get the bearing fit dialed in and loctite the nut.
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-04-19-08.40.08.jpg  
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM

I closed up the motor to the Singer 15-125 last night and tested it out. It's running well but I found I'm missing the terminal and the bracket and the cord length is a bit short... hmmm what to do? So back to the White/Domestic 6477 I've been working on. I want to get the cams I have working but the needle position is slightly left of center. I don't have a service manual for this machine but a friend sent me a manual that could be similar and offer insight so I am trying to figure it out!
    Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

It is a sad/happy day for me. I got my Consew 206 working again, put it on Cl and it is going away this evening. I learned so much from that machine over the years - it was always jamming up - user of course - and I had to take it apart now and then.... sigh.
    Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM

Miriam that does sound like a mixed emotions type day. I hope the new owner loves the machine as much as you have.

Christy
    Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    Miriam that does sound like a mixed emotions type day. I hope the new owner loves the machine as much as you have.

Christy
    new owner hasn't shown up yet. In the mean time another guy called... gggggrrrrrr.......
    Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
    Power Poster

HA it took two tries but the new owner showed up and it is one less thing to trip over. Happy happy joy joy...
    Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 AM

I have been working on getting a 1911 Singer 66-1 Red Eye cleaned up and made operational. I have a 1916 Singer 5-drawer plain treadle cabinet that I’m going to put it in. I think they will be a nice combination, and since this 66-1 is the older style that has the 6-spoke balance wheel and no attachment boss, it is best suited for treadle operation.

Yesterday I made a new spring for the bobbin winder (#32564 BW Frame Spring) for it, and gave it a generous shot of “710” (OIL read upside down and backwards) to let it set for a few days to limber up. I noticed that the center pin is missing in the upper tension, and the slide plate is a replacement, but I think everything else is there. I think I have an original slide plate to put on it, and the tension release pin won’t be a problem, so I’ll see if I can get these two married up as a working unit.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Thumbnails machine314_05.jpg   machine540t_01.jpg  
    Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 AM
    Banned

I cleaned up the Windsor B for my DD who is going into the Army.

I really thought that it had more decal loss than it does.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473998[/ATTACH]

the back side
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]473999[/ATTACH]

I thought the black that was originally there (sorry, no pic) was motor wear, it was motor crud...
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]474000[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-05-01-22.55.58.jpg   2014-05-01-22.53.51.jpg   2014-05-01-22.48.55.jpg  

FREE Quilting Newsletter