Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 11-27-2014, 04:50 PM
    Power Poster

Did you all just hear me groan really loud??? I worked all day on the wrong machine. That thing was a real mess... I was very frustrated because I thought I had gone over it... all I thought I had to do was check it before the lady showed up - well it was a different machine just like it that just only needed to be checked. Well I just checked that one and it was fine... Hours later and a ton of work... now there are two. sigh........
    Old 11-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Ahhhhhhh.. well that's frustrating but now you have two. If the one gets taken you will still have another one ready to go.

This is a problem that only those of us with far too many machines can understand.
    Old 11-27-2014, 08:33 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by miriam
    yippie - got it!!! I cleaned up the tension and the bobbin tension. When I opened up the balance wheel end of it there was pieces of dried grass or something chucked in there. WEIRD. I should have taken pictures. She sews very nicely now. I sure hope that lady takes it....
    Miriam I have a scenario how that happened. Picture this: cat sitting on a shelf above a clean sewing machine. Cat proceeds to upchuck a belly full of grass all over said machine.
    No, I didn't spend any time lamenting on how this could have happened. Last summer I watched my cat do exactly what I just wrote. Now you all know why I haven't shown any pics of my twin Brother and Morse machines. I still can't bring myself to go near the Brother again.

Cari
    Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    Miriam I have a scenario how that happened. Picture this: cat sitting on a shelf above a clean sewing machine. Cat proceeds to upchuck a belly full of grass all over said machine.
    No, I didn't spend any time lamenting on how this could have happened. Last summer I watched my cat do exactly what I just wrote. Now you all know why I haven't shown any pics of my twin Brother and Morse machines. I still can't bring myself to go near the Brother again.

Cari

Think of it this way: At least you saw it happen and didn't just go to use the machine and wonder briefly what had happened as your hand was slimed before the horror set in....

i've had 2 machines here that had been peed on by cats. I think I'd take hairball / grass ball over that, unless it had rodent parts in it too,.. Then I'd pass too.
    Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane
    Think of it this way: At least you saw it happen and didn't just go to use the machine and wonder briefly what had happened as your hand was slimed before the horror set in....

i've had 2 machines here that had been peed on by cats. I think I'd take hairball / grass ball over that, unless it had rodent parts in it too,.. Then I'd pass too.
    No rodent parts seen, though she is a hunter. LOL, she sits under the bird houses on my neighbors' deck like she's at a buffet.
    Maybe after the holidays I'll clean up the machine again. There's people on another group that have been waiting a long time for pics of my twin machines but I've never before told why I haven't done it.

The White that I gave Rodney was tagged by several cats, I'm sure. It was outside for a few years.

Cari
    Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 PM

I've had quite a few that were marked by cats. I tried to get to the worse ones first to get the odor under control and it's heck on the paint!
    Old 11-28-2014, 01:37 AM
    Power Poster

I've had some that were marked by cats, too. I'm guessing that my machine was stored in a shed near a mower and someone cleaned out the mower or it was near the door when the mower went past? No clue - not mouse droppings - just grass clippings. GC is a first for me. I can't remember where that machine came from. What I do know is it was a bugger but it sews now. Makes a real nice stitch. LOL Seems like a straight stitch machine can most likely be made to work if all the parts are there.
    Old 11-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    No rodent parts seen, though she is a hunter. LOL, she sits under the bird houses on my neighbors' deck like she's at a buffet.
    A few years ago, we put out a bird feeder because I saw so many around in the summer and wanted them to have food for our really cold winters. Shortly after, we and the neighbor started finding the odd dead bird in our yards. We blamed the neighborhood cats, til the day I saw the mated pair of Merlins on the light post across the street. Turns out, I'd basically opened a buffet for them.

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew
    I've had quite a few that were marked by cats. I tried to get to the worse ones first to get the odor under control and it's heck on the paint!
    If it's not a shellac machine, I use a solution of 1 cup Peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a tiny bit of hand soap. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on non-electrical parts and let it dry then clean it off the way you would any other machine. It's best to do this first, because you'll want to take apart and clean anything that would get overspray like tensioners to make sure they dry 100% before reassembly.

What I want to know is what makes a cat mark a sewing machine? Laundry, I get. Even the corner carpet. A sewing machine? I can't figure that one out, but it's obviously common.

Originally Posted by miriam
    LOL Seems like a straight stitch machine can most likely be made to work if all the parts are there.
    I've never had a SS parts machine. I'll clean them up to see the shape of the parts and invariably end up fixing it. I know you get much worse machines than I do though.
    Old 11-28-2014, 03:20 PM
    Power Poster

"I've never had a SS parts machine. I'll clean them up to see the shape of the parts and invariably end up fixing it. I know you get much worse machines than I do though."

Tammi,
    What did you say your address was???????
    Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM

LOL! Just send them to Santa, he's my next door neighbor

FREE Quilting Newsletter