• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >
  • The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

• The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-20-2013, 01:23 PM

It's a 201-2.
    Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro
    It's a 201-2.
    K, assuming the grease pots don't have a huge bubble at the bottom of them and the wicks are doing their job , I would do a dis-assembly and look at the brushes, but definitely get the grunge off the armature. Probably a 45 min job Maybe longer the first time. I would go through Rain's tutorial - vssmb.blogspot.com. How are the wires?

The 15-90 I had the wick problem on had a crust of grease at the top, so it wasn't taking new grease, and the bottom of the wick was pristine white, like it had never been greased. It was -really slow. http://www.archaicarcane.com/number-...-a-48-or-a-51/
    Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

It's a 201-2.
    Thats a nice machine. You might find THIS HANDY .
    Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 PM

I have to read the assemblers guide here (hahahahaha) soon. I just figured out there are wicks in there, but I don't know where (in the grease pots?).

I, uh, don't like the wiring. It's ok and not crumbling but I would really like it updated. That and the light doesn't work at all. The new bulb fired a few times but I could never get it to turn to hold the bulb in. Then I broke the filament so I need to acquire another one.

Learning learning learning.
    Old 12-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Did I mention I don't know how to do squat with the electrical stuff and I'm completely learning as I go? Yeah. This is the 5th machine I've worked on and the first with any of this going on.

Frustated but but learning learning learning. And i
    like it when it goes right.
    Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 AM
    Power Poster

Anastasia, you only fail if you don't try - if you tried and fail at least you tried. If you can't get it wired there are alternatives which I am going to try on one of mine - the motor was locked up and when we pulled it the wiring fell apart - not something we can repair very easily. At this point I got a newly made belt guard and I'll have to see how it goes getting that put on along with an external motor. I have a lot of other things on the to do list right now though.
    Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz
    I too just love it when they sew like a charm or are better than we expected. Good save.

Yesterday I had to get my truck oil changed, tires rotated etc, so I did a quick run through my favorite Redding thrifts trying to beat the fast approaching snow storm home..LOL. So today I fiddled with a Touch and Sew. I wasn't really looking for one but after reading the threads here about them just a few days ago I was intrigued. So when I found one for sale cheap...I bought it. I thought what the heck I will play with it and see what all the hoopla is about. It is a Singer 758.

Well, it IS different. Took me awhile just to get the top and bottom off. My 758 fortunately is like new, I really lucked out with it. I never know what to expect from thrift stores. It was just a little dusty and cleaned up spotless. I need the cams, the feed dog cover plate if it came with one originally, bobbins and the spool cover material stuff is shot.
    I downloaded a manual so now I will try to find the other items so I can see how she sews. I want to find the vintage bobbins that came with the machine if I can. If not I will try the aftermarket ones but so far most peeps haven't liked them. She has all kinds of unique and fun differences for her time and so far I like her...a lot. I really like how to store the foot control inside the case cover. It is probably the quickest, easiest and neatest one I have so far.
    Does it take the high hat or flat cams? I some of both.
    Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Anastasia, you only fail if you don't try - if you tried and fail at least you tried. If you can't get it wired there are alternatives which I am going to try on one of mine - the motor was locked up and when we pulled it the wiring fell apart - not something we can repair very easily. At this point I got a newly made belt guard and I'll have to see how it goes getting that put on along with an external motor. I have a lot of other things on the to do list right now though.
    Oh, I'll be trying. Sometime after:
    10 batches of cookies,
    9 holiday specials,
    8 temper tantrums,
    7 days of nonsense,
    6 delayed packages,
    5 thousand loads of laundry,
    4 holiday gatherings,
    3 orders from Sew Classic!
    2 weeks off school,
    and a whole day to read the manual!
    Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

Oh, I'll be trying. Sometime after:
    10 batches of cookies,
    9 holiday specials,
    8 temper tantrums,
    7 days of nonsense,
    6 delayed packages,
    5 thousand loads of laundry,
    4 holiday gatherings,
    3 orders from Sew Classic!
    2 weeks off school,
    and a whole day to read the manual!
    yes well said... wrong thread? http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t236796.html
    Old 12-21-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    I was inspired.

FREE Quilting Newsletter