Major Jam, Major Bummer

Old 06-18-2023, 12:30 PM

Angry Major Jam, Major Bummer

I was trying some FMQ again today on Mabel. She got jammed up pretty good today so I am majorly bummed. I can't move the hand wheel at all or just slightly. I think need to remove the feed dog, bobbin case and most likely the rotary hook to find the thread. UGH!. At least I have a copy of the service manual for the machine so that will help. Hubby was busy with his own project this afternoon (engine rebuild on an old pickup for those who are gear heads or live with one), so I had to put her to bed. I hope we can get her running again. I don't want to use Ernestine for FMQ.

Shari
Old 06-18-2023, 02:03 PM

Oh no
This just happened to me. Hand wheel wouldn't budge.
I was able to take the needle out and then the bobbin and bobbin case came out. I found a thread tangled around the race and was able to clip it out with small sharp embroidery scissors.
Then the wheel turned enough for me to take out a few more bits of thread stuck down in the feed dogs.
Now all is well
Maybe this will help...
Good luck to you Shari
Old 06-18-2023, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort
Oh no
This just happened to me. Hand wheel wouldn't budge.
I was able to take the needle out and then the bobbin and bobbin case came out. I found a thread tangled around the race and was able to clip it out with small sharp embroidery scissors.
Then the wheel turned enough for me to take out a few more bits of thread stuck down in the feed dogs.
Now all is well
Maybe this will help...
Good luck to you Shari
Thanks. Unfortunately, the rotary hook is in a position where I can't get to the spring that releases the bobbin case and now the thread has broken off and I can't even see it. I've got my fingers crossed that we can find it and remove it. I think it just may mean taking some of the parts off.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

At least Mabel is a sensible old girl, and once the offending threads are removed and she is well oiled, she will be ready to work without needing an extended stay at a machine spa. That probably wouldn't be the case with a newer electronic machine.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I have taken the needle plate off and disconnected the needle to clear a bad jam before. If you can get the fabric up even a bit, you can slide a seam ripper in to cut the thread. Once the thread is cut and the fabric removed, I use tweezers to pick out the thread bits. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2023, 06:14 AM

YAY! Mabel is back up and running. Haven't tested with thread yet, but she is running smoothly right now. She required some major surgery, somehow the bobbin case slipped out of place. It may have happened when she jammed. We had to remove the little tang that holds it in place to actually remove the case. Once we had it removed, the jammed thread came right out. All is well with the quilting world....for now.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by sschick
YAY! Mabel is back up and running. Haven't tested with thread yet, but she is running smoothly right now. She required some major surgery, somehow the bobbin case slipped out of place. It may have happened when she jammed. We had to remove the little tang that holds it in place to actually remove the case. Once we had it removed, the jammed thread came right out. All is well with the quilting world....for now.
Yay!
Did you have to worry about the timing after you got her all back together?
Old 06-19-2023, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort
Yay!
Did you have to worry about the timing after you got her all back together?
No, she is running just fine, with no tension issues either.