The Minimal Sewing Studio

Old 09-17-2014, 04:48 PM

I would love to find a 320. My daughter wants a free arm machine but that one I would probably keep for myself.
Rodney
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM

Good advice, everyone. I've been watching for a Reece buttonhole machine and found one for around $300. These are amazing machines -- watching them do their thing is a beautiful sight. And I'm thinking a Kenmore zig-zag with all the bells and whistles (like the 18023) plus a free arm machine (Phoenix or Kenmore convertible, not sure) will be great.

I have two 201-2 machines, both in beautiful shape and I bought both of them for such low prices. I hate to part with them, so one might be my straight-stitch. Although the Pfaff 30 is a strong contender. (1.4 amps on a domestic straight stitch can kick some serious tail.) I think the 15-90 and 91 I have are too underpowered.

As for coverstitching and overlocking, I may just hang it all and get a Juki industrial that can do it all -- except keep my domestic 4-thread Bernina/Juki (MO-734DE) for hemming:

OK, so I just purchased an industrial zig-zag machine about an hour ago. It's an Adler, very worn in but not worn out. I plugged it in, pressed the pedal, and experienced a little bit of heaven. I bought it on the spot. It does single and double needle sewing and has a clutch motor rather than a Servo. That's OK. I can upgrade later if I want.

It comes in an industrial wood topped table (not laminate or other garbage) on a metal frame with a full-function pedal that is throttle, disengages the presser foot lift, and stops on a dime. I love the hand wheel assembly with two wheels controlling the belt feed to the motor drive.

It needs oiling, cleaning, has a little bit of rust here and there but the price was just too good to pass up.
Attached Thumbnails p1010081-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM

You don't waste any time! Kenmore 1802 was the model I was trying to think of in my last post- not 82. Has many cams and even monograms.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I saw the price for the Adler and leapt out of my chair, grabbing my phone and my car keys.

By the time she called me back, 8 other people called her after me, one from Yakima, another from Portland. The machine's in Bellevue(!), only about 20 mins. from my house, lucky me. Now I have to set up a time to go back, disassemble, and haul it away.

The Kenmore 18023 is one of my favorite machines of all time. I love that thing. It would be my catch-all zig-zag machine that is really versatile. I've never monogrammed on it, though I have the attachment.

At some point, I might add an embroidery machine to the fleet. I don't see myself getting into embroidery but watching them work is very cool. But I'd want an industrial, not a home machine. And we're talking around $6-7K.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:45 PM

Mike, I've seen great buttonholes made by ordinary straight stitch machines but I've never been able to produce anything I'd want on a finished garment. (Operator error, of course. ) I don't mind having a machine set up just for buttonholing but you may be right: a straight stitch is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Just watching the buttonholer work on a straight stitch machine is fun and you end up with a really nice buttonhole. I haven't tried actually making anything with buttons yet though.
Rodney
Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Banned

Wink

[QUOTE=KenmoreRulesAll;6893235]
I have two 201-2 machines, both in beautiful shape and I bought both of them for such low prices. I hate to part with them, so one might be my straight-stitch. Although the Pfaff 30 is a strong contender. (1.4 amps on a domestic straight stitch can kick some serious tail.) I think the 15-90 and 91 I have are too underpowered.

KRA,
If you think the 15-91 is underpowered, you'll experience the same with a 201-2. They have the exact same motor, they're interchangeable. Rated .5 or .6 amp, can't remember which.
Now, I may be writing a check my butt can't cash but I'll put my 1 amp Selectomatic up against your pfaff 30 for power. That machine amazed me. Went through 16 layers of cotton with a size 12 needle just like it was 2 layers. The only reason I didn't try to go thicker was I couldn't fold the fabric any more.

Cari
Old 09-17-2014, 09:03 PM

The 201-2 and 15-91 have either the .53 or the .6. Both my 201s and my 91 have the .6. But I'd only need a straight stitch for precise top and edge seams so power isn't everything. Cotton broadcloth doesn't need piercing power but 14 oz. denim does. Not sure.

My Pfaff 30 has a 1.4 amp motor and can outsew anything in my fleet except the industrial I just got (and I don't even have that in my home yet because I have to remove the head and motor from the table and take the table apart just to fit it all in my station wagon). I have a 1.2 amp Selectomatic (just checked) that is nowhere near my straight stitch Pfaff 30 or even my 1.3 Pfaff 130s which are rated by some as semi-industrial. The Selectomatic is a cute machine, but that dog just don't hunt.

Selectomatic:

Hah!

Don't get me wrong. I like vintage Brothers. (I actually think their straight stitchers are better than their zig-zags.) But against the 30? Who you kiddin'?
Attached Thumbnails brotherolderselectomatic-640x480-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Not kiddin'. Okay, you're on. Rodney can referee. Mine is newer than yours. And pink. So there.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails brother-210-selectomatic-iv.jpg   s5032086.jpg   reflection-motor-bed.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM

Hey! How did I get dragged into this?
I'm running away. Now.

A pink Brother just seems wrong somehow.
Rodney