Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!! >
  • Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!!

• Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!!

Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM
    Power Poster

I finaly looked up a recipe for funeral potatoes, come to find out we have been eating them all along for over 30 years but just know them as potato cheese casserole. Maybe the name funeral potatoes is more of a Mormon thing as the recipes that came up where associated with LDS websites. I will no longer look the same way at our potato cheese casserole now I know it is a really a funeral dish. LOL Can't wait to tell my kids next time I make it. It is a real favorite here. I did substitute plain white yogurt for the sour cream, leave out the butter and condensed mushroom soup, put in real onions and real potatoes (not the dehydrated kind). So maybe our casserole is not as funerallish?
    Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I finaly looked up a recipe for funeral potatoes, come to find out we have been eating them all along for over 30 years but just know them as potato cheese casserole. Maybe the name funeral potatoes is more of a Mormon thing as the recipes that came up where associated with LDS websites. I will no longer look the same way at our potato cheese casserole now I know it is a really a funeral dish. LOL Can't wait to tell my kids next time I make it. It is a real favorite here. I did substitute plain white yogurt for the sour cream, leave out the butter and condensed mushroom soup, put in real onions and real potatoes (not the dehydrated kind). So maybe our casserole is not as funerallish?
    We call the condensed mushroom soup canned cream of death in our family. Whenever we use a canned soup in a recipe, it is always canned cream of death. Horrifies my mother but it's a family joke & tradition.
    Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 PM
    Power Poster

I'm a little late, but I'll bring lentil chili, Cougar Gold Cheese, and sugar cookies.

Bringing my Simplex 15 clone to get acquainted with. I don't have a manual, and am learning things as I go!
    Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 AM

Count me in... I have a FW, that although the machine runs well, and is really quiet, the motor seems to be smoking, so am trying to gather enough gumption to tackle taking it apart to get some idea whether it is just dry, or it needs burial lol. I will bring chocolate cake and crockpot mac and cheese
    Old 09-09-2015, 02:41 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I'm a little late, but I'll bring lentil chili, Cougar Gold Cheese, and sugar cookies.

Bringing my Simplex 15 clone to get acquainted with. I don't have a manual, and am learning things as I go!
    My Simplex would love to meet your Simplex at this party. I think my Simplex is my least favorite clone. I don't know why unless it is the weird backwards from other clones bobbin area that takes for ever to take apart and reassemble. I did get it to sew through a soda can once. LOL As far as a manual goes, since you showed up at the party I'm giving you a manual. There will always be something a little different from one clone to another. Here's your manual: http://www.singerco.com/support/inst...manuals/search my Simplex needs the Singer 15-30 manual so type in 15 and then select 15-30. Mine has that kind of bobbin area. It is possible that yours is a newer clone than mine. If that is the case you will need a regular clone manual: smacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/manuals/singer-sewing-machine-manuals.html then select Singer 15-30 and it will cover the Simplex clone, too. The manual and adjuster's manual info plus a lot of other valuable info about clones is also posted on this thread: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html You are also invited to post a picture of your machine there.
    Old 09-09-2015, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mhollifiel
    Cathey!
    This party sounds like what we old Southerners call a "DO"! I will bring good ole Eastern Carolina BBQ and my grandmother's "special" slaw. This is the one that folks line up at the bowl after church meals asking "What is in that slaw??" Yummy stuff!
    Here's her secret (Pennsylvania Dutch) recipe: Shredded cabbage, chopped lightly toasted pecans, salt, 1 t sugar, and SOUR CREAM! When this one shows up at funerals, nothing else matters! I have made it with whole smoked almonds to good results as well.
    Oh, yes, about forgot the most important part: Bernina 717 and maybe my rose case Kenmore 1030. Featherweight stays home!
    Already having fun just thinking about it!
    Kaye
    MMMMMMMMM! Eastern Carolina BBQ! That's my favorite.
    Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 AM

With this many people I should bring a 100pack of needles. We will get through them in testing in no time.
    Originally Posted by chris_quilts
    We call the condensed mushroom soup canned cream of death in our family. Whenever we use a canned soup in a recipe, it is always canned cream of death. Horrifies my mother but it's a family joke & tradition.
    Sounds like somebody tasted the generic kind.
    Old 09-09-2015, 05:07 PM

Totally late again! Here it is Wed. nite and no party. Guess I'll have to get the old sledge hammer out to the T&S, or Miriam, you are more experienced.
    Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny
    Totally late again! Here it is Wed. nite and no party. Guess I'll have to get the old sledge hammer out to the T&S, or Miriam, you are more experienced.
    HA HA HA HA You are never to late to show up with a T&S with an old sledge hammer and funeral food to go with it... I'm up for a party anyway even if it is a Wednesday. This party can go on for as long as all the lurkers check in with their funeral food... I'm still having fun at this party. Here is a nice cream pie for your face. Now hows that for party??? I bet it didn't even make a big mess. WHEE...
    Old 09-09-2015, 07:29 PM

I'm another latecomer. Bringing turkey legs (cooked too long so falling off the bone and couldn't sell at Faire). Still yummy though.
    And my latest under $5 acquisition, a 1960s Singer that needs a throat plate, bobbin and a good clean up. My campground neighbors got a pretty blue Morse in a cabinet and a Rocketeer also in a cabinet for $5 each! Both of theirs look good to go. And the cabinets are in pretty good shape too. This area of southwestern PA seems to be old sewing machine heaven.