Mom's 301A

Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by elnan
The 301A does NOT take class 66 bobbins. It's bobbins are same as the ones for a Singer Featherweight.
Oh wow! Good to know! I know people always call the 301's the "big sister" to FW's...I assumed that was just about the styling of the machine and the folding bed. But sounds like they're more alike "under the hood" than I realized!

See...now I'm going to have to get one for myself. How awful. LOL
Old 06-04-2015, 07:57 AM

I just bought a 301 and have just finished cleaning her up. She sews a fine stitch, and sounds so nice. I just put a Schmetz needle it and it worked fine. Remember, the needle goes in turned and threads to the left, instead of straight. The book shows it well. I am finding my case is smelly though. I have put it outside, not too sure if I will get the musty smell out or not. I think you will be happy with your machine once you get it going
Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM

if you're in Houston near Katy there's a shop with antique sewing machines Kimberly's junk in the trunk. she carries bobbins and stuff for vintage and antique machines and they also service the older machines though that can be pricey - think it's $100 plus for the cleaning,etc (servicing I think they call it) I bought a cabinet there for a 15-90 my mom had found and turned out it needed a new wire and few other things done but her husband didnt' charge me except for the parts - usually though you drop it off and pick up later. they also do featherweight maintenance classes at local quilt shops (I told them they need to add other machines 'in general' LOL!)
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilt938
if you're in Houston near Katy there's a shop with antique sewing machines Kimberly's junk in the trunk. she carries bobbins and stuff for vintage and antique machines and they also service the older machines though that can be pricey - think it's $100 plus for the cleaning,etc (servicing I think they call it) I bought a cabinet there for a 15-90 my mom had found and turned out it needed a new wire and few other things done but her husband didnt' charge me except for the parts - usually though you drop it off and pick up later. they also do featherweight maintenance classes at local quilt shops (I told them they need to add other machines 'in general' LOL!)
Thanks for the reference! I'm on the west side of Houston so Katy is really close. I'm gong to have to look Kimberly's up.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Iswan and Elnan, in particular, are both correct. The 301 is a real joy as a sewing machine. In fact, I named mine JoyBoy. By all means, go to Sew Classic for bobbins. Check on a piecing foot, too, and a walking foot.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:58 PM

In general, I don't think $100 is a lot to properly clean and service a vintage machine. If it's the same service your average shop is going to give it then it's high. If it's a full on cleaning like what most of us do, it's hours of work.

Before:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521544[/ATTACH]

After:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521545[/ATTACH]

And that's on top of tensioner rebuilds, clearing 40 years of thread from behind the bobbin base, etc.
Attached Thumbnails before.jpg   after.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Bobbins and More

The bobbins are the same as for the FW, a metal bobbin with holes all around. Never have seen any in town. Sew-Classic.com is the best place to find parts, same as FW. It is a slant-needle machine. Jenny at Sew-Classic can help with any needed attachments. She tests the parts for FW machines and the 301. Most of the obtainable, affordable, bobbin cases, etc. are reproduction because the originals are no longer manufactured and good, reliable, used ones are hard to find. Sew-Classic is about the only place I trust for those parts although there must be some others, but Jenny's prices are the fairest I have personally found through experience and a lot of hunting. Back to the bobbins, they are thinner and bigger in diameter than both 66 and 15 class bobbins, so those won't work. Only 301 or FW bobbins will work and they are 100 per cent metal, no plastic ones yet. Most of the die hard collectors don't like plastic bobbins, but I do on my machines because they are quieter. I use the Teflon washers under the bobbins anyway to help eliminate backlash. The 301 is considered the FW's "big sister". They are getting more popular every day, due to the high cost of FWs. I have both, and prefer the 301 as it is not as finicky as the FW and more durable. Both are "toteable" for sit and sews and classes. Don't let the 301 get away from you because it is becoming more valuable every day. Check Ebay and see how they have gone up. It is good property to own and keep for the future even as an investment. Happy sewing.
Donna
Old 06-04-2015, 05:24 PM

Put some deodorant type soap in the case, like Irish Spring or Safeguard. It was recommended by "Featherweight Fred" from Texas. He specializes in FWs. He recommended this to me two years ago, and it works. Just be sure to leave it in the box with the end cut off, so it doesn't touch anything in the case. Sunshine helps a whole lot and use the soap when you can't have it out in the sun. It saved my original case. I was going to not use it anymore until I tried this way of deodorizing it. The old hide glue in the old cases molds badly and unless you gut them and redo the fabric, they always tend to do that. Just the way they are and we have to work around it. This method is not hazardous though. Happy sewing.
Donna
Old 06-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Thank the sewing gods that my mom was pretty conscientious and kept her machine in the house and mold free (also stink free). The exterior of the machine and the case are both in pretty good shape. I'm going to get it out this weekend and see how it works. I"m excited!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 PM

If you live anywhere near League City, TX, then Fred Switzer is a very good resource. You can reach him at Suncatcher.com. He comes to the Paducah quit show every year. He rebuilds FWs and is a great source of information concerning them. He has taught me more about FWs than I ever hoped to know. He also has some pretty red FWs also. He can take an old, dull, FW and make it sparkle like a new car. He also sells Lucite seam guides and turned, wood, spool holders to convert spool pins for use of larger spools of thread. I can't get enough of them and they make great gifts for quilters.

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 06-04-2015 at 06:07 PM.