Mom's 301A

Old 06-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
You'll love that machine once you get it going. I use mine much more than the Featherweight. Actually I'm planning on selling the Featherweight since I rarely use it. I prefer the size of the 301A and the solid feel. And it isn't that much heavier than the Featherweight since it is aluminum.
I totally agree with you. I LOVE my 301 and use is all the time. it sews wonderfully, sounds great and just does a bang up job. I have a white featherweight and am going to sell it. I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. My 301 is tan and I keep my eye open for a black long bed (my tan one is also a long bed). Don't know why, I just want a black long bed one. But you will love your 301.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:35 PM

I love my 301! It is the machine I took to AZ with me this year. Then I thought I needed a long bed so bought a tan one. Then this black longbed showed up in even better condition. I love all 3. It is so FUN to sew on them. How special that it was your mother's and from your childhood!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller
If you live anywhere near League City, TX, then Fred Switzer is a very good resource. You can reach him at Suncatcher.com. He comes to the Paducah quit show every year. He rebuilds FWs and is a great source of information concerning them. He has taught me more about FWs than I ever hoped to know. He also has some pretty red FWs also. He can take an old, dull, FW and make it sparkle like a new car. He also sells Lucite seam guides and turned, wood, spool holders to convert spool pins for use of larger spools of thread. I can't get enough of them and they make great gifts for quilters.
Fred Switzer is wonderful, I've bought 2 machines from him. He really knows his stuff.
Sharon in Texas
Old 06-05-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Veinurse
I love my 301! It is the machine I took to AZ with me this year. Then I thought I needed a long bed so bought a tan one. Then this black longbed showed up in even better condition. I love all 3. It is so FUN to sew on them. How special that it was your mother's and from your childhood!
I"m really new to this. How do you tell if it's a long bed?

Nevermind. I found an old post that answered my question. Mine is a long bed.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 06-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:16 AM

I have found that the Singer plastic bobbins (Class 66) work well in my machines -- no problems at all (unless I happen to step on one that's fallen to the floor. I have three machines that take Class 66, my 328, my 201 and my 403A. I have NOT used any other make of the plastic bobbins, but I've been using the Singers for more than 30 years, not an endorsement necessarily -- just a statement of fact. I've had NO problems with them.

Jeanette
Old 06-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Melmerr1, I wish I could afford to buy a FW for my cousin in Oklahoma, but my enforced retirement requires that I pinch my nickels and pennies. I have a white one my son got for me about 4 years ago at GW for $50! Right now, I couldn't afford $50! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 PM

well apparently kimberly's DOES have more bargains than I thought LOL 3 followed me home- well 2 did the 3rd stayed for the servicing - the other 2 I opted to take as is and bring in later if I need anything done. the atlas needed wiring/soldering and now way I'm up to that! friend ended up getting a featherweigt
Old 06-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt938
well apparently kimberly's DOES have more bargains than I thought LOL 3 followed me home- well 2 did the 3rd stayed for the servicing - the other 2 I opted to take as is and bring in later if I need anything done. the atlas needed wiring/soldering and now way I'm up to that! friend ended up getting a featherweigt
LOL, I can totally relate. Every time I go see my OSMG for parts or advice it takes all of my will not to come home with a new machine too. As it is, I either come home with more parts than I went in for or else nothing at all.

Cari
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 PM

it's just dangerous! and I may be back next week with a different friend..and for sure in a couple weeks or more when the Atlas is ready to be picked up...sigh...do you think a 404 is worth adding to the herd?! maybe I should have snagged it today....
Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt938
...do you think a 404 is worth adding to the herd?! maybe I should have snagged it today....
I'm not really a Singer gal so I might not be the one to ask. I have a 404 that the jury is still out on. It sews great for a while and then has fits for a bit, then goes back to great stitches. I did a quick COA when I got it but need to investigate further. Not really a priority for me so it sits in the corner for now. I will however eventually get it done and give it a good new home, it was a promise I made to the lady who gave it to me. I would choose the Atlas over the 404, but that's just me.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 06-06-2015 at 11:16 PM.