Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • My Great-Grandmother's Minnesota Model A >
  • My Great-Grandmother's Minnesota Model A

• My Great-Grandmother's Minnesota Model A

Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM

I'm sort of in awe of these old time manufacturers who made a product so well it can be put in perfect working order with little trouble even after 50 or 100 years plus of disuse. What is made like this today?

Jon
    Old 10-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Today's (really yesterday's) progress report: Bobbin winder is functioning as it should, moving very freely! It's still rusty -- haven't been able to get the screws, etc. loose, but, amazingly with a few drops of Tri-Flo (for the 4th time) and it's moving! Hurrah!
    Jeanette
    Old 10-27-2014, 06:17 PM
    Banned

Sweet!!! Well done!
    Old 10-28-2014, 02:56 PM

I am so excited for you having this machine. I totally relate to your feelings about it. It is that way with "me and my White" treadle. Oh, what a joy to sew with. And what a marvel that the thing still works flawlessly with hardly any maintenance. These machines are a true feat in engineering and application of simple machines science.
    Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM

Progress report! I was finally able to loosen the screw that holds the bobbin winder on the machine, took it completely apart and cleaned and polished it up a bit. It could be better, and it may be better if I can get my back to cooperate. I hate to grumble -- but it's really the pits when your back hurts!
    Jeanette
    Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Progress report! I was finally able to loosen the screw that holds the bobbin winder on the machine, took it completely apart and cleaned and polished it up a bit. It could be better, and it may be better if I can get my back to cooperate. I hate to grumble -- but it's really the pits when your back hurts!

On another note, I printed out the pictures of the machine and sent them to my cousin that I'm doing this machine for (free--no ads here). She called me last night -- she is very excited about the machine, and I'm happy that she's excited about it. She's had a pretty rough time of it the past 5-10 years, and I'm glad I can do something for her. I bought the machine with her in mind, probably paid too much, but the decals are in pretty good condition, not perfect, but good. She has the irons from our great-grandma's machine which are in pretty good condition and the cabinet -- if nothing else, the drawer fronts can be re-used. It's going to work out great.
    Jeanette
    Old 10-29-2014, 01:49 AM

Very good Jeanette! Slow and steady will win this race. It took time for things to get rusty and stuck together. It will take some time to make things right again.
    You're on the right track with it.
    Rodney
    Old 11-03-2014, 11:12 PM

Progress Report: Progress - NONE! Doggone it! I keep oiling all the places where the screws need to come loose, but for the most part, they're really stubborn! I won't force them (I doubt I have enough strength to do that anyway), because I know I'm asking for trouble if I try that! My son hasn't had time yet to try them, so I'll have to wait until he does. In the meantime, I keep dropping a drop or two of oil in an attempt to loosen up the screws! It's not like I'm running a race or anything!
    Jeanette
    Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 AM

First thing you want to do is get the machine in a position where it won't move around on you. Then you need a screwdriver that fits very well. Put the screwdriver in the slot and gently tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer. Sometimes it will help break loose stubborn screws. The biggest problem with this method is sometimes you need a couple extra hands.
    Rodney
    Old 11-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Yup, A good fitting screwdriver and penetrant (I use PB Blaster but it's a bit on the odoriferous side) makes all the difference. Some screwdrivers you can get a wrench or vise grips on for really stubborn screws that have been soaking. I'm a big fan of the "gunsmithing" screwdriver sets that have a variety of slotted screw head sizes--makes life much easier.

Jon