My new obsession

Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 PM

I got my FW on E-Bay last year. I had been watching for one for a long time. Some of the prices are crazy. You might think they have 14 K gold trim on them. LOL I paid $225 + shipping. It's in really nice cosmetic shape and the case is nice. Runs beautiful. It only had a couple of extra feet and no manual. I didn't care. I down loaded a manual off some site I found and I knew I wouldn't use a hemmer, ruffler or some of the other attachments. I would only buy one that had a lot of pictures (up close & clear) so I could really view the machine from all angles. Some are rusted or the paint is a mess or they don't even work. You really have to check the pics. Good luck and happy hunting
Old 04-30-2012, 08:42 PM

The waranty means a lot and departs a sense of well-being and peace of mind. Some buyers need this and some could care less. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I agree, it is better to see, and feel the quality, rather than buy a "pig in a poke".
Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 PM

Well folks, I found one, and it was shipped out today. I am so excited! I will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 AM

Graham Forsdyke has an excellent reputation. He is an expert on FW's and refurbishes and sells them. Here is is website: http://www.singer-featherweight.com/
He is a regular contributor on the Yahoo FW forum, and you might be interested in following some of his threads.
Dayle
Old 05-02-2012, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Great machines! I bought mine from a local sew & vac shop. If you have such a store in your area ask them to let you know when they get one in. I paid $350. It is in like new condition with manual, case and attachments. Newly serviced and a 90 day warrenty. Couldn't be happier.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM

shamefully, I have 4 black and 1 white. I love them. I did buy one on e-bay. Just be careful to ask the right questions. There is not a lot you can do to mess one up, but if the bobbin holder is not included, it can be expensive to replace. You might sign up to the yahoo group Sewitsforsale. They are on there all the time and most fairly reasonable. Craig's list is another way to pick one up. I have just stumbled across the others. One in an antique shop and one in a yard sale and one off Craig'slist. If you will send me a note off line, I will give the name of two people who refurbish and service and they usually have them. They both live in Florida and I took the maintenance class from one of the gentlemen. You won't regret it. they usually run about $300-400+ depending on how good the gold looks, attachments included and the condition of the case.