My new Singer 115

Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx
It looks like you have real good color it that one, be careful the color on these wash away real easy, even just using SM oil

don't toss your old belt away, unless it breaking in short pieces like 6". I have have and use belts made up of pieces of old ones, one is made of about 6 pieces and works good
LOL "secret mode"! I did the same thing! As soon as I saw the look and the decal I HAD to see the bobbin area. Thank you for the warning on color. Of course I had planned to shine her up with SM oil. So that could be a bad idea?

This is and isn't my first treadle. I have the lovely Davis that Steve gave me but I have not needed to mess with the belt. I have other treadles that I got in a bulk deal waiting for me to get a round 'tuit', but for some reason I have favored the electrics up to this point and been a bit nervous about approaching the treadles!b I am going to be learning now though!

Your leathers that are in pieces, did you sew them together?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx
Wait, I am from a tiny state, I have a tiny state sense of scale. How far away can you be in California and still be "local"? xD
Technically I guess you aren't "local" lol! The seller of this machine had another person from my own town asking about it. I found her and chatted her up on-line today. I am very lucky she was occupied because it sounds like she would have been bidding against me for it! So there are two of you that SAW it and didn't go for it. I am feeling extra lucky to have gotton it then!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM

Beautiful machine! Congrats on getting it.
The 115 is a full rotary hook, the 15 is an oscillating hook. A quick way to tell them apart is to look underneath. The 115 has a much smaller hook assembly than the 15. Unfortunately I don't have a 115 so can't tell you if there are any practical differences in sewing abilities.
Rodney
Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney
Beautiful machine! Congrats on getting it.
The 115 is a full rotary hook, the 15 is an oscillating hook. A quick way to tell them apart is to look underneath. The 115 has a much smaller hook assembly than the 15. Unfortunately I don't have a 115 so can't tell you if there are any practical differences in sewing abilities.
Rodney
I found a diagram that showed that, along with a whole bunch of other variations of the 15. I had no idea there were so many varieties!

I learn at LEAST one new thing every day here.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

just gorgeous!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

That is stunning. very nice!!!

I buy my treadle belt from Amazon or the auction site by the 100' roll. Cheapest way, and you'd be surprised how fast you can use one of those up...hehehe
Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH
That is stunning. very nice!!!

I buy my treadle belt from Amazon or the auction site by the 100' roll. Cheapest way, and you'd be surprised how fast you can use one of those up...hehehe
At 6' per treadle, enough for 16 machines or any up and coming museum.

Jon
Old 02-12-2015, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma

But now I need to know what the difference between a 15 and a 115 is! (I'll look it up later.)
try this: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t216990.html
Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM

I have an older 15 and a 115 with the same decal pattern. I have been unable to find ANY exterior visible difference between then on the top side. It's either inside or underneath.

The 115 was not in production for all that long, and all at a time when Singer used fancier decals. So if you see a newer one with more plain decals, it should be a 15.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
I have an older 15 and a 115 with the same decal pattern. I have been unable to find ANY exterior visible difference between then on the top side. It's either inside or underneath.

The 115 was not in production for all that long, and all at a time when Singer used fancier decals. So if you see a newer one with more plain decals, it should be a 15.
Any idea of why it wasn't in production for long? I'm wondering whether they felt the oscillating bobbin was a huge step up and why?