Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nanjun
Billy

This is the machine I spoke about. It is a 128 from 1951

Tell me what you think of it.
Serial # AK629088
Well it is a Model 15 and was allotted on November 19 1951 and there were 50,000 of them on that run.

The machine itself is a very nice one indeed I really like the potted motor and the fact that the nickel plating is in lovely condition. This machine will clean up really nice and will serve you well!!

Something I noticed that I do not think that you have seen is that it does not have the Centennial badge like most of the 1951 issue machines had. That lets me know that this machine was more than likely made in early 1952.

Just because Singer dates it to a certain date it does not necessarily mean it was actually built then. That was just when the factory authorized the production of them. Since the size of the run was so large it more than likely ran into the first half of 1952.

Billy
Old 05-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Something I noticed that I do not think that you have seen is that it does not have the Centennial badge like most of the 1951 issue machines had. That lets me know that this machine was more than likely made in early 1952.

Just because Singer dates it to a certain date it does not necessarily mean it was actually built then. That was just when the factory authorized the production of them. Since the size of the run was so large it more than likely ran into the first half of 1952.

Billy

That badge looks like it's got a blue ring to me...can't see it very well tho...
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

It doesn't look like a Centennial badge from where I am looking but then it is not a real clear photo. It looks more like the badges used in the mid fifties.

Billy
Old 05-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Hi, my first machine was a gift from a woman I worked with in 1965.She had had it for a while-maybe the 50s. It looked similar to a 99 from the pictures I have seen.and it was a portable. It weighed a ton and was in a sharp edged tan box. I don't think it said Singer or anything else. It did have a potted motor but the bobbin was up and down-not drop in so maybe it was older? I sewed thru everything and I loved it for making clothes. Does anyone know what it might have been? I would love to have it again just for the memories. I gave it away when I got my super duper Kenmore (with the Cams for embroidery) That was a WORKHORSE. I gave that to one of my nieces years ago and she asked me if I wanted it back a few years ago--you bet I did. Every piece is with it including the manual and it runs like a top! My DILs mother is using it now (on loan)Thanks!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM

What a beautiful machine she'll be when you get her all cleaned up!! Lucky you!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM

It doesn't look like a Centennial badge from where I am looking but then it is not a real clear photo. It looks more like the badges used in the mid fifties.

Billy
Here is a somewhat more clear picture of the badge.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58143.jpe  
Old 05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

Billy
Here is a somewhat more clear picture of the badge.
Its the regular badge they had in 1952.

Billy
Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I just want to know if it is worth fixing. Looks like it will take quite a few parts and awhole lot of cleanng. I dont need t keep it and noone else in my family sews.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. I just want to know if it is worth fixing. Looks like it will take quite a few parts and awhole lot of cleanng. I dont need t keep it and noone else in my family sews.
If you want to sell it list it in the sale section of the forum and I will include the listing in my VS on the Vintage machines. But if you want to keep a family heirloom we can walk you through how to clean and service it and then you can have a very reliable machine for quilting! I do all of my quilting including FMQ on a model 15.

You can not beat the quality and reliability of the Singer 15!!

Billy
Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

I love that, my mom had one I use to push it for her, I don't know were it went, I just asked her about it the other day, she said it might be under the house. :| I am gone to send my hubby down and see. there is just earth down there no cement. I asked her if its down there can I have it. God bless. Penny