To name or not to name?

Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM

I've only named one. My 1908 Singer model 27 treadle is named "Ella" for the machine's first owner.
Mostly I don't name my machines.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 10-12-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 PM

Some of mine have names and some don't and it's very similar to how Joe names his. I have a LBOW 301 that came from a family last name Myrtle...she is named Myrtle. Shortly after I found a lovely 401A and they made a nice pair together so I named her Mildred. The brother is my Singer 500A which came to me in need of major help and I named him Major. My Gritzner Kayser White is named Wilhelm and my beige Elna Supermatic is Brown Boy. I wanted a nice "M" name for the Singer 503 but I call it "Stinky" or "the Dump Machine" lol!

My new Featherweight is "Pearl" and took the time to feel for her name because I know she is staying.

I don't know why some call out for names and some don't, but if they don't seem to name themselves, they just go by what they are!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM

Yes, I name the ones I keep for myself.

My main machine is "Sunshine. " He's a Bernina 230, and my best friend.
My main serger is "Ben," short for Benevolence -- my boss practically gave him to me. He's a Bernina 800DL
My 1901 Singer treaddle is "Grandmother." She belonged to my Great Grandmother, who insisted that we call her, "Grandmother," not "Grandma."
My old White 534 serger is "Frank." My boss Frankensteined a needle plate for him.
My Mercury industrial has a big "M" on his end, so he's "Max."
My 158 Kenmore is "Nellie." She's sure and dependable.
My 60 lb. Kenmore is "Carol," named after her previous owner, who was a great example of unconditional love and hard work.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM

At times I call each of my machines a name, however, it isn't one that I can say on here. LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 AM

My Morse is named Gladyne, after my grandma who was her original owner. The Brother is named Rick, my brother's name. The newer Ellisimo is named Emilie, after a favorite author;the 401a is Betty Lou, her original owner's name. The featherweight is just called the cute little baby.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Default Naming Machines

Originally Posted by iadhikari
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering, just for fun, who names their machine and why (same goes for those who don't). I am getting a little tired of referring to my machines as "my Kenmore 17741" or "my tan Singer 301." But I can't get used to calling them by human names.
So I thought it would be fun to find out what everyone else does, and why!
Ila
When I worked on the Space Shuttle, we named all of our machines! The largest one,a Singer 97-10 was used for many of the large items we sewed. "His" name was "Lurch". Our smallest,a Juki,was called "Tiny Tim"! We used that one for sewing "Remove Before Flight" ribbonsor some smaller items that would need to be finished.As for my home machine also a Singer, I just call her ,"Sweetie"!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Mine don't get named. I guess I am "just not into that".....All my favorites are called by their brand names because I don't remember model names.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 AM

If I am fortunate to know the name of a sewing machine's owner the machine is named after the owner.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:55 AM

I didn't know about the sewing machine name tradition when I bought my first "big" machine (my Janome 6600), and since my first & last name together sound a lot like a Star Wars character, my dealer named my 6600 "Princess Leia" for me. I thought that was pretty darn funny so I've let the name stick, and it sort of works out. I'm not really a "princessy" type but she's a pretty rugged princess. When I bought my travel machine from the same dealer I was prepared, that one is now "Chewbacca", just because he was always my favorite character. So apparently Janome machines in my household now get Star Wars names.

My original 90's Kenmore that was my first ever sewing machine that I bought myself as a teen, that one is a "he" for some reason and gets called "Old Squeaky". He's actually been oiled up since then and the squeak is gone, but the name has stuck. It's amazing that machine still works at all, considering it's probably all plastic inside and I abused that machine terribly, sewing all sorts of weird stuff (I've sewn cardboard on that thing) and never doing any oiling or maintenance until just recently - I barely even changed the needle. It's a little "tired" but still works! It's my 2nd string backup now.

My brother embroidery machine is just called "Big Brother" - when I got it my travel machine was a smaller Brother machine (called "Little Brother") but I've given that one away since then.

And lastly, my "new" vintage 40's Kenmore has been named Judy - my boss was super cool about helping me haul the machine to my house (it's in a cabinet) so with his permission I named the machine after his late mother.

I have a couple other non-working machines that I picked up cheap because they looked like the machines my grandmothers sewed on; but since they don't work they don't get names. Lazy machines don't get names! LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm a gardener, so I like to name my machines after flowers.
Kenmore, Dasy
SINGER 15-91, Fern
Feather weight, Clover
Red eye treadle, Iris
Bernina 730E, Lily