To name or not to name?

Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM

I call my FW, Caroline, because I had a friend in choir whose name is Caroline Singer.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Banned

Only a few of my machines have names. Either they were named for previous owners or the name just came to me while I was using them.
Universal Clone-Orphan Annie
Singer 201-2 -Elizabeth(I tried calling her Bessie and she got mad)
FW- Margaret
Brother Pacesetter-Richard
Consew Tuffylock- The Beast
Brother and Morse clones- The twins, Thing One and Thing Two.

Cari
Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 PM

Some of mine are named.
First was Betty, the 27. She just seemed like a Betty.

So then we started with an Archie theme.
DH bought me a FW, her name is Ronnie (Veronica)
Moose, Archie, Jellybean and Midge found new homes.
Then came Alice, she's a VS2 so we looked up Betty Cooper's mom's name. Yup. Alice Cooper.

After that, we started deviating from the Archie theme because I started running out of characters I recognized.

So far the other FW is "the painter" because she needs paint and is in about a million pieces awaiting said paint.
The 222K is named Eliza, we lucked onto her on a trip to see my Aunt Liz and they share a "birthday".
Lucey came already named and hasn't accepted a new one yet.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 PM

I doubt any of you were holding your breath, but I finally decided to name my Featherweights! It was just too annoying and cumbersome to call them "my 1938 Featherweight" and "my 1953 Featherweight." I checked the names of the Nobel peace prize winners for each year, and one was an organization and the other was George Marshall, and these gals need female names. So I looked at the Oscar winners for actress and supporting actress each year. Now, I have Luise (yup, no "o") for my 1938, and Gloria for the 1953.
My Kenmores will probably get male names. They just seem male to me. I don't know about the 301s. Maybe I'll find gender-neutral names for them, if any exist anymore.
Ila
Old 12-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

I named my featherwt. Aunt Betty Lou after my neighbor who got me interested in sewing at age 3. I wish she knew how "interested" she got me and wish she could see my quilts now. It's the only one I've named. she was made in 1929.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 PM

I've named some. Mainly so I can tell them apart and my sister knows which one I'm talking about. Mama's machine is Mom. The Kenmore 153.1720 is Cammie, cause she uses cams. The Kenmore 385.1788180 is Thrifty cause we got her at the thrift mall. And our main machine's (just alike) we call Ours. She got her's first in 1989 when her house burnt, and everyone loves that machine. A few months ago she saw one just like it on ebay and told my son. He bought it for me for my birthday. It's a kenmore 385.1960180. Not exactly vintage (yet) but a great machine. We seem to be aquiring a few machines now so we probably will be naming more. Friends and aquaintacies are giving me machines since I put out the call for machines to take with me when I take Mr. Whites repair course next spring. I wanted to take 5 with me and really only had 2 that I could take. My two Model 66's will take more time than we will have at the school. I have a Riccar that the needle is hitting the bobbin case and Thrifty has a cam stack, but will only do a straight stitch. (metal cam stack) and Cammie doesn't stitch her cams all the time. Those I figure probably can be done in class. I haven't really done anything with those other than clean them well and oil them.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM

I've never evr named any type machine I have ever owned. How ever I do call them names from time to time
Old 12-06-2014, 06:16 PM

Depends on whether it has a personality. My plastic Janome does not have a name but my Singer 66 is Bertie.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 PM

I name things that I do not know where they came from. When there is no mystery there is no name.

So the Singer 427 I had in Ireland had a name, but I never learned what it was. It must have been very Irish and not English at all. The Singer 66 I got earlier this year is Seabrook. And because of that one I call the Singer 160 'anniversary edition' Bridgeton but that does not actually have a name since I knew where it came from. I have a name waiting for a Husqvarna or for a Singer with lotus decals but those will have to wait. I do not really want either of those machines.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 AM

I call my machines by name because its too cumbersome to go through Model #, year, manufacturer, etc. Everyone in the house knows Sarah. There are now 27 machines here because my daughter brought 8 from the garage. Well, 9, but one went home with her after my ministrations.