Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP >
  • National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP

• National Eldredge Two Spool Treadle - HELP

Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 AM

Thank you! I will definitely report back, and probably have a load of questions, LOL. Thanks again! BTW....the pic you posted from CL, is not the same machine I'll be looking at.
    Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 AM

Yes - that is the early style Domestic, and finding parts for it is not easy - but it looks like it has them, and if it comes with a shuttle and bobbins and needles, you would be OK. I would not get this machine as a regular sewer becasue the needles are so unique. However for right now, there is still unused old stock available, but it's not fun to have to pay several dollars per needle (after you add shipping).

Mine came missing a throat plate, and I paid another $50 to get a donor machine (including shipping) to have as parts. It also had a shuttle so that made it worth the cost, as shuttles often go for more than $15 with shipping. At least thanks to eBay - you can get these items!

Here is my Domestic - it came from Eau Claire, WI. I paid $180 for it.

If the choice was between the two - I'd get the Two Spool first (provided it have the spool case and everything). I've seen Domestics come on the market more often than Two Spools.
    Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM

Cathy, thank you so much for all the detailed pics, they are unbelievably helpful! Also, thanks for the advice with the machines. I'm glad that I know that the parts are hard to come by for the Domestic. If things are missing, I will probably pass on the machine as I know that the Two Spools will be harder to come by again in the future. However, if everything IS there, I might have to convince my husband that I'd like an early birthday present and get both.

As for the Two Spool, it does have the spool can, but no extras (feet, etc.)....is that bad? Is there anything besides the spool can I should make sure it has?

Last edited by Rach L.; 01-12-2014 at 05:10 AM.
    Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 AM

Feet on the two spool are not a big deal to get - basically anything that fits a National Rotary will fit - and there are plenty of them out there. As long as the spool can is there, that is all that really matters on that machine.
    Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Good to know! Thanks again!
    Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Just as an update, I did look at the Domestic. It's in good shape, but is missing the belt (no biggie). While turning the wheel, there are a couple of parts that seems to stick a little (hoping that it's just some old gummy grease). There were two shuttles, 3 needles, probably 8 or 9 feet, and 4 or 5 bobbins. From what I could tell, it seemed to be in decent shape, and had plenty of accessories. It's a beautiful machine, but with the limitations with the needles, I'm not sure. She did say I could have it for $75. Do I take the plunge with this machine?
    Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM

who is in Indianapolis, Ind. listed at GW and 2 hours to go. pickup only and $5. not sure if this is highly valued. this ELDREDGE ROTARY MACHINE .