• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Need help identifying machine and parts >
  • Need help identifying machine and parts

• Need help identifying machine and parts

Old 01-19-2020, 06:52 AM

Default Need help identifying machine and parts

Hi,

I'm new to this group, but I have an old treadle machine that I am trying to identify and repair. I have attached images of the machine for identification. I believe it to be from National Sewing Machine Company, but I cannot identify the model. The arm reads Oriole, but I could not find a similar example anywhere online. Although I did find one that was almost identical to mine that read Arrow on the arm.

In the process, I am trying to identify the correct vibrating shuttle and needle for the machine. My current shuttle is about 5cm long and the needle is longer than the ordinary universals. I can't find an appropriate needle anywhere. I have uploaded pictures of the current shuttle as well.

Any help, suggestions, or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jared
    Attached Thumbnails img_2960.jpeg   img_3010.jpeg   img_2958.jpeg   img_2957.jpeg  
    Old 01-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Pretty machine. I wish I could help you, but there are others here who know so much about the beautiful, antique, well-made machines that are still around today.
    Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! This machine looks so beautiful! I wish I could help you out. I am sure others here may be of help. I only have limited knowledge of vintage machines. This is a machine that I am not familiar with. Again a beautiful machine.
    Old 01-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Welcome, Jared. It looks like you have pretty much pegged that it is a National made machine. According to http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...uttle_Machines it is a VB-TT Type 5.

I'm going to guess that it takes a 20x1 system of needle. From my understanding, many of those that have machines that take that system can use a 15x1 by not inserting it all the way to the stop.

As for the shuttle, I'm thinking that it is what is a #13 Boye and I believe it is shorter than the Singer long shuttle bobbins.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
    Old 01-19-2020, 01:31 PM

Hi Jared, Search National 20x1 needle and National sewing machine shuttle on ebay and you'll find some.

Jon
    Old 08-20-2021, 07:29 PM
    Edr

I have a the same machine, I am also looking for a bobbin and shuttle and the arm that guides the thread on the bobbin winder. No luck so far.
    Old 08-23-2021, 06:06 AM

Regarding the bobbin and shuttle, ebay, etsy, or some similar site is your best bet. I had the same machine, no shuttle or bobbins, and spent 4x the cost of the machine tracking down a shuttle. I actually ended up using Jared's pictures of the shuttle from this very post when communicating with an ebay seller to make sure I was getting the correct part. I ended up using bobbins for a Singer 127.