need help packaging a machine

Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Banned

The 3 boxes HAVE arrived at home, but I am still at work...grrrrr
Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Hmmm...nice idea. I actually have a chair we've been meaning to replace with a recliner. Now I know what to do with it before it hits the curb.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Thanks steve, I appreciate that. I'll be taking a good look around this weekend and when I get a good deal I'll post it.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Nothing wrong with bubble wrap, though I use the large size for wrapping the machine. The box would have to suffer some catastrophic mishap in order for the bubble wrap to be compromised, and at that point, it would likely be a matter for insurance.

I do occasionally use foam to cover the top/front/back of the machine where there is usually something sticking up that needs extra protection.

I just buy seat cushion foam at Walmart in the sewing section.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM

Is there an alternate packing method if one can't get free or inexpensive foam? Foam is very expensive around here and I have sanitation concerns about using used chair and cushion materials. I'm spending around $8 a machine double boxed and good and tight-all new materials. I'm always looking for better and less costly methods for shipping a head and not relying on free material so I don't run out when needed.

Jon
Old 03-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mlmack
Nothing wrong with bubble wrap, though I use the large size for wrapping the machine. The box would have to suffer some catastrophic mishap in order for the bubble wrap to be compromised, and at that point, it would likely be a matter for insurance.
With all due respect that has not been my experience.

Bubble wrap is "ablative" in that once popped it is no longer padding. EVERY box that I have received with bubble wrap has has a significant portion "popped". IF the seller uses other padding between the bubble wrap and the box it is MUCH less likely to be damaged.

The issue comes from the padding acting as a weight support structure. So a 40 lb sewing machine sitting on two layers of bubble wrap gets dropped on the ground twice and the inertia of the machine coming to ANY sudden stop, tends to pop the bubbles even if the box is UNDAMAGED on the outside... After the first drop the padding can be reduced increasing the chance of the second drop damaging the machine.

My Jones Serpentine has a broken paw foot even though the box was only compressed 1/2" on that corner... because it had two layers of bubble wrap and both layers were popped.

Double boxing is ALWAYS preferred if possible.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I have to ask: by "double boxing" do you mean leaving space between the boxes and then putting padding between, or is it okay to just put a box of the same size on it so that it is doubly thick on the 4 sides? That has worked well for me when I ship dishes or glass.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Banned

No such thing as a dumb question...

When "I" say that I mean a second box with some padding (usually 1" or less) between the box layers. Boxing it with two boxes without padding between them is better than single layer of box, but not as effective as the two surfaces to puncture separated by padding.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

The Ancient Patcher seems to have made it safe and sound.

Heather opened the boxes to look and all seems well. I will completely unbox them tonight (about 1 hour and 20 minutes from now)
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all your help!