New home 920 info request

Old 02-07-2021, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
They have been around for a while, but seem more abundant lately.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Just 1 more question than I'll give you a brake lol.
Would this be worth buying?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7NVZSY...BDTT9YAS7BJ6VZ
She only has 1 needle and 1 bobbin. Thankfully she has the bobbin cap thingy. I'm looking at this set because it comes with 3 bobbins and 100 needles in 5 sizes and their super cheap. I'm betting till she learns how to set her machine and about the different size openings in the different feet she'll probably brake a few. Or if you have any suggestions I'm open. I'm just trying to get her what she needs but being on a fixed income and the only income in the house I can't go all out till we know it works and she knows how to use it, I'm not cheap just can't afford a lot lol. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Yes, that looks like a good deal. It looks like it is a universal point, but the description says sharp. There are some that prefer to sew with different points for different fabrics. I know I sewed a lot with universal points and didn't have any problems. If one was to sew with extremely stretchy knits, I think it would be better to use a ball point, but IIRC I didn't have any problem sewing T-shirt knits with whatever was in the machine. Also leather or vinyl would use a different point, but that has some other issues as well. As this is a quilting board a lot of people sew woven fabric and feel "sharps" should be used.

I have also heard of some people having trouble with some of the new bobbins, but that is on more vintage machines than this one.

Over all, I would say that, indeed, this is a good deal. I just thought you should be aware of some things so as not to be surprised.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench
Yes, that looks like a good deal. It looks like it is a universal point, but the description says sharp. There are some that prefer to sew with different points for different fabrics. I know I sewed a lot with universal points and didn't have any problems. If one was to sew with extremely stretchy knits, I think it would be better to use a ball point, but IIRC I didn't have any problem sewing T-shirt knits with whatever was in the machine. Also leather or vinyl would use a different point, but that has some other issues as well. As this is a quilting board a lot of people sew woven fabric and feel "sharps" should be used.

I have also heard of some people having trouble with some of the new bobbins, but that is on more vintage machines than this one.

Over all, I would say that, indeed, this is a good deal. I just thought you should be aware of some things so as not to be surprised.

Okay good to know. There is a lot for both of us to learn, we both learn better by watching / doing but when no video or diagram is available I'm better at taking a bit of information and figuring it out then she is with stuff like this. Than I can brake it down and can explain it to her in a manner she's better suited to understand.
It really helps when someone such as yourself is willing to share their knowledge and experience. I have had a few unbelievably rude individuals, the biggest being from a vintage sewing machine parts and repair website that advertised "if you need any information or have any questions about any sewing machine email us" I won't go in to detail here but let's say his customer service skills are worse then a rotten potato.
That's 1 reason I can't say thank you enough to you.