New Home

Old 11-23-2019, 01:41 PM

Default New Home

I just bought a New Home Light Running machine. It's in a beautiful wood cabinet with 3 drawers on each side. It has 2 side tables, 1 opens to the right and 1 to the left when closed they hide the machine. The only numbers I have found are NHR 113588 on a stamped plate behind the neck of the hand wheel. Does anyone know if the numbers are the model number or the serial number? Anyone have a guess as to when it was made?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by daverogers1
I just bought a New Home Light Running machine. It's in a beautiful wood cabinet with 3 drawers on each side. It has 2 side tables, 1 opens to the right and 1 to the left when closed they hide the machine. The only numbers I have found are NHR 113588 on a stamped plate behind the neck of the hand wheel. Does anyone know if the numbers are the model number or the serial number? Anyone have a guess as to when it was made?
It is the serial number. NHR is the model. New Home was bought up by Free in the late 1920's so New Home was only a brand name at this time. I'd guess your New Home Rotary was made sometime around 1940. The chart is from Janome which eventually got Free and the New Home records.

https://www.janome.com/siteassets/su...anufacture.pdf

Jon
Old 12-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the help. When I looked at the chart for model NHR the numbers start with 120,791 which is higher than my number of 113,588. The model above is DNHR which ends at 111,540 which isn't high enough. I just can't find where my number fits. Any ideas?
Old 12-21-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by daverogers1
Thanks for the help. When I looked at the chart for model NHR the numbers start with 120,791 which is higher than my number of 113,588. The model above is DNHR which ends at 111,540 which isn't high enough. I just can't find where my number fits. Any ideas?
It is possible that the pdf is in error. Having a New National made by New Home from the early 1940s, I know how hard it is to read serial number--as seen at New National - New Home and New Home Vintage Sewing Machines Club It looks like someone else has a NHR113XXX at https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...ml#post5841721 however, that person hasn't been on since.

From what I can tell, there might not be too much difference between an NH and a NHR. There is a manual for the NH at http://ismacs.net/newhome/new-home-s...e-manuals.html It looks like the NH serial numbers would include your number and it is a Rotary.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site links
Old 12-23-2019, 07:26 PM

My first sewing experience on Mom’s New Home. All I remember was her telling me to keep my fingers away from the needle and she let me go.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:24 AM

If you could shrink a pic of it , we'd love to see it.