New Kenmore 740

Old 09-03-2023, 02:27 PM
rgw

Default New Kenmore 740

Hi everyone!

A few weeks ago I purchased a Kenmore 117.740. It’s the Gritzner made model that has other brand equivalents like White and Domestic.

In researching the model in various forums, I remember coming across cover photos posted from someone who had copies of the White 651 service manual. I’m sure this manual would apply to the Kenmore as well. I’m about to start the cleaning and servicing process, and having access to a pdf of the service manual would be tremendously helpful.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to remember which forum it was in. I’m a member of a few VSM Fb groups, and even the Kenmore ones don’t seem to have it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to sharing the restoration process with everyone! Thanks!

Best, Rob W-

Last edited by rgw; 09-03-2023 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 03:56 AM

Sorry I can't help with your quest for a manual: I just wanted to say that's a really nice looking machine!
Old 09-04-2023, 08:24 AM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard, and what a great looking machine!

Are you sure you need the service manual, as opposed to the user manual? The user manual typically will have basic service information, unless you think something is out of adjustment.

If it were on my workbench, I would remove easily removable body parts and oil anywhere metal rubs against metal when the machine cycles, both in straight stitch and zig zag. If there are gears on top or bottom I would consider lightly greasing them instead of oiling them, but I think there's lots of debate on that.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:51 AM

Hi Rob, I’m on a few fb groups and I think this one has the 117.74 user manual and the white 651 service manual: Vintage sears Kenmore and white sewing machines. Once you join you can look in the file section and see what they have.