Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • New to me Kenmore model (i have no idea) and various other bits. >
  • New to me Kenmore model (i have no idea) and various other bits.

• New to me Kenmore model (i have no idea) and various other bits.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 PM

Really love the older Kenmore machines, so dependable and strong! I have a few favorites that I use and love those deco cams!
    Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 AM
    Power Poster

Nice machine. I have 3 of them. Looks like an 1800 series. I have a 158-1800.
    Old 09-07-2014, 09:08 PM

darn that last picture of cams looks like the set I had but now can not find. daughter & 3 kids lived with me 3 1/2 yrs. so am thinking maybe my set went with them when they moved. IF & I say IF you ever want to get rid of that set of cams e-mail me.
    Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 AM

I love that machine....lucky you!!! Vintage Kenmore machines are top quality, most always.
    Old 09-09-2014, 03:15 PM

*waves* I'm back, so i took time out today to poke around on the Kenmore. I finally figured out how to get some of the stitches to work. It involved moving the stitch modifier to S. I still don't know the model number because the previous owner made a wooden base for the machine that they then glued to the machine. I can see where the plate is just not how to get it without pulling off the base. *sighs* But on the plus side I have cams that can do fish shapes, tree shapes, swan shapes and also duck shapes. LOL
    Old 09-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess
    Nice machine. I have 3 of them. Looks like an 1800 series. I have a 158-1800.
    Really?! That's awesome! I'll check out the series. This machine you have to pop the top off from by the hand wheel. Also you can pull the hand wheel out a bit to stop the needle movement. Which is cool. This machine seems to have a ghost. If the foot pedal isn't completely up it will continue to slowly run. lol
    Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer
    I love that machine....lucky you!!! Vintage Kenmore machines are top quality, most always.
    Thanks, I'm finding it has some stitches that my more 'plastic fantastic' Singer has. My singer is mis timed and is *sighs* being annoying. lol I may actually have to spend $$$ getting it serviced professionally. *head desk* But that can wait. *wink* I have cam's with trees and ducks on it. lol
    Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby
    Your monogrammer fits the Open Arm version of this model.

the shape of the Chainstitch plate is also indicative of the machine it fits - looks like you have the square one.

The SML is for the stitch modifier - on my machine it's called the "varigater" but it does the same thing. It is a small adjustment for the stretch stitch cams (they go backward and forward along with side to side) to adjust the backward/forward part, so S will have for a smaller backward/forward moving, and L will have a larger forward/backward movement. So you adjust that along with the length and width to get the pattern looking like you want.
    Thanks, I found that if i move the modifier to S i can get the special stretch stitches on the bottom dial. I also found out the needle plate has a bit that comes off right over the feed dogs. That was interesting to figure out.