"New to me" Singer 319W.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by great white
Well, I've had a closer look at my acquisition.

Some test stitching reveals it is dropping stitches.

So.....looks like I've got some cleaning and checking to do over the next few days/week....
Normal cause is wrong needle (or needle threaded from the wrong side) or tension issues. If neither of these, you could check the hook timing but from your story, it seems very unlikely (one owner and the correct needle being in it when you picked it up).
I know you aren't an idiot, but I've screwed up how the needle goes in more than once (most recently a few months ago). Flat side at the back, threads from front to back.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike
Normal cause is wrong needle (or needle threaded from the wrong side) or tension issues. If neither of these, you could check the hook timing but from your story, it seems very unlikely (one owner and the correct needle being in it when you picked it up).
I know you aren't an idiot, but I've screwed up how the needle goes in more than once (most recently a few months ago). Flat side at the back, threads from front to back.
All good points worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, I've already rechecked them and they are good.

There are a few extra needles I haven't tried yet, but I'm skeptical they will help.

Which brings me back to clean and check timing before going any deeper.

Funny thing is, I can actually hear it when it misses a stitch. Almost a sickly "crunch" noise. I have checked all around the needle areas and there is no impacts, I believe it is a noise made by the fabric.

Too dull a needle maybe?

I'm no expert, but I don't think that would cause a missed stitch on this machine. The needle feels like it would punch through plywood.

I'm inclined to think the feed dogs are off and messing up needle Penetration, possibly bending the needle out enough to kiss a stitch?

Dunno....just gotta get in there i guess

Last edited by great white; 01-26-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:15 AM

Do you have a 206x13 needle in it?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 AM

When this happens on my main machine - it is almost always a dull or wrong tip needle. Similar - I can tell the needle is hitting the weave of the fabric just right - and instead of either pushing the threads out of the way (like for knits) or piercing them (like most cottons) it sort of gets stuck on the fabric thread.

This usually causes the machine thread to hold way too tight to the needle (because the fabric thread is putting too much pressure around the needle ) and then the machine thread isn't loose enough for the hook to grab.

Maybe try different needles and different thread and fabric.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags
Do you have a 206x13 needle in it?

CD in Oklahoma
Yes.

Originally Posted by Macybaby
When this happens on my main machine - it is almost always a dull or wrong tip needle. Similar - I can tell the needle is hitting the weave of the fabric just right - and instead of either pushing the threads out of the way (like for knits) or piercing them (like most cottons) it sort of gets stuck on the fabric thread.

This usually causes the machine thread to hold way too tight to the needle (because the fabric thread is putting too much pressure around the needle ) and then the machine thread isn't loose enough for the hook to grab.

Maybe try different needles and different thread and fabric.
Will do when my order arrives.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Well, this is certainly an interesting image:
No 206X13 in there, but the tip lengths are interesting for needles that are supposedly all the same....
On a larf, I ordered up some of the HAX5's. Figured it couldn't hurt to have a lookysee if they would work or not.

They're supposed to be:

This needle is made for sewing hard, thick or heavy materials. It will sew through multiple ply applications like quilting, jeans, applique or heavy embroidery. It is actually an industrial needle with a flat shank. If you are bending or breaking 15x1’s this needle could solve your problem. Organ has finally developed a Schmetz-quality 15x1 Quilting Needle for Juki TL98E, Brother PQ1500 and all the other home sewing machines used for quilting. Schmetz has the 130/705H-Q quilting needle. These hard chrome needles will outlast a standard 15x1 and the PD/titanium needles are even more wear-resistant. They are available in either sharp or ball point with a hard chrome or PD/titanium finish.
I've got a couple spare bobbin cases on the way. I'll either try one "as is" or clearance it and see if it stitches properly or not....

Last edited by great white; 01-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Tried a couple more needles, all the ones I currently have actually. Which is a total of 3. rofl.

No joy. Still skipping stiches. Zig zag neither zigs nor zags even though the needle is swinging ta beat the band.

A quick look underneath makes it look like the timing is actually a bit slow. Admittedly, I didn't do any measuring and such, but with the needle a few 1/32nds into it's ascent, the tip of the hook is just getting to the needle.

Seems a bit slow to me....need to break out the service manual.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Wow.

Checked the timing of the hook. Super far advanced like all get out!

Someone must have tried timing it for 15X1's becuase, as I understand it, the timing ajustment is to advance the hook timing.

The needle bar height indicator was waaay out with the needle at bottom dead center so that was adjusted back to spec first.

Rotaing hte needle bar up to the lower timing mark revealed the hook was so far advanced the entirety of the hook portion was past the needle.

That would explain why zig zag would make a wide spaced straight stitch: The hook is so far advanced it was only catching the left zag.

In the process of adjusting things back to spec now.

Fingers crossed....
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Success!

Straight and zig zag work just fine now.

I can't believe how out of whack this thing was. The needle bar timing pointer wasn't even close to right, so I have no idea how they timed the hook to the needle. Dead reckoning maybe? If so, I hope whoever did it never gets lost in the woods....

It must have made all it's stitches when I looked at it at the sellers house by pure dumb luck. Or maybe that's why they had the tension all the way off. Dunno, one thing is sure: the guys who sold it to me had no idea about sewing machines so they didn't so it.

It's not perfect, but it is making all it's stitches now.

Now that I know it works I can get to cleaning, oiling and fine tuning it to perfection.

One project I've already decided on is replacing that light. Poor, poor, POOR output. I think I will switch it to a nice cool white led. I will also probably snake a couple small LED's behind the presser bar faceplate that will shine straight down on the throat plate area. Just one or two small ones that will fit just about anywhere. I will keep the rear light, just to maintain the look of the machine More than anything else although it will make for a good general area work light.

Already thinking about a new PWM speed control since it is up inside the cabinet on a knee control anyways. That way. I can add fresh modern wiring and have it all still hidden. I can address the parts that will still be visible with some appropriate green colored sleeving to keep the original look intact.

I already have the right drive belt, spare hook and original bobbin, several aftermarket bobbins and a wide assortment of needles on the way.

FULL SPEED AHEAD, DARN (pun?) THE TORPEDOS!

LOL.

Last edited by great white; 01-26-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM

Checked the timing of the hook. Super far advanced like all get out!
I'd thought that possible but unlikely (I did read all of your posts), but it's very easy to fix the timing.

Your info about that Organ HLx5 is very interesting. I'm sure you already know that the 206x13 is essentially a 15x1 but with a slightly shorter tip. Being able to get, say, ball point needles or maybe a size 18 would be immensely useful if you have one of these machines (206, 306, 319, 320).

For anyone asking why you'd bother, they're very well designed and built and really heavy duty. I have a 206 light industrial version (206K10) which would benefit from a wider variety of needle options.
Thanks GW, I'll look it up now.